OKLAHOMA CITY – The No.8 Oklahoma State Cowboys are the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Champions following a dramatic 6-5 victory over No. 6 Texas in Sunday's finale at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The Cowboys become the first No. 8 seed to win the Championship and are the league's automatic qualifier in the NCAA Tournament
Oklahoma State got some runners on early, but Texas pitcher Morgan Cooper was able to get out of a bases-loaded jam with a strikeout to end the top of the first.
Texas strung together three straight base hits with two outs. Kacy Clemens and Bret Boswell got the Longhorns on the board with two RBI singles that resulted in a 2-0 lead after one inning.
The Longhorn's pitching and defense held the Cowboys hitless in the top of the second. Texas stranded two on base as they failed to add to their lead.
In the third, Oklahoma State fired back with a one-run double delivered by Garrett McCain and cut the lead to one. Kody Clemens produced an additional run for the Longhorns on a RBI double and made the score 3-1.
Ryan Cash and Garrett McCain came through with runners in scoring position. The Cowboys scored three runs in the fourth off three hits as they took the 4-3 lead.
Oklahoma State received doubles off the bats of Ryan Cash and McCain to extend their lead to 5-3 heading into the bottom of the sixth.
The Cowboys stayed hot and continued to manufacture a run in the seventh by way of a Bryce Fischer solo home run.
The Longhorns roared back, totaling two runs on four hits, including RBI singles by Zane Gurwitz and Ryan Reynolds. Texas trailed 6-5 going into the eighth inning.
Oklahoma State brought Carson Teel in to shut out the last two innings. Carson Teel allowed only two hits and left three Longhorn runners on base in his two innings pitched to seal the victory for OSU.
The Cowboys were led by Garrett McCain who went 3-of-4 with three RBIs and Ryan Cash who hit 4-of-5 with two RBIs and scoring two runs.
Big 12 Championship Notes
- Oklahoma State is 2-2 all-time in the Big 12 Championship game (2004, 2014, 2015, 2017).
- Texas is 5-1 all-time in the Big 12 Championship game (2002, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2015, 2017).
- OSU ties Texas 1-1 all-time series in the Big 12 Championship game (2015, 2017). Texas leads OSU 7-6 all-time in the Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 6 seeds are now 2-5 all time in the Big 12 Championship game. The last No. 6 seed to win a Championship title was Missouri in 2012. No. 6 seeds are currently 38-32 all-time in the Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 8 seeds are now 1-1 all-time in the Big 12 Championship game. Oklahoma State becomes the first No. 8 seed to win the Big 12 Championship. No. 8 seeds are currently 24-33 all-time in the Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 6 Texas and No. 8 Oklahoma State make up the largest combined seeding in Big 12 Championship history.
- Total attendance for the game was 8,923. The crowd was the 4th largest in the Big 12 Championship history and recorded the 2nd largest attendance in OKC. The championship game had its highest attendance since 2004 in Arlington.
- Garrett McCain became the first Oklahoma State player to win the Big 12 Championship Most Outstanding Player award.
Oklahoma State (30-25, 4-0 Big 12 Championship)
- Oklahoma State is now 49-31 in 1-run ballgames under head coach Josh Holliday.
- Leadoff hitter and Big 12 All-Tournament player Ryan Cash went 4-5 with 2 RBIs, 2 runs, and a double.
- Garrett McCain continued to show why he was one of the best hitters in the Big 12. McCain finished the day 3-4 with 3 RBIs, and 2 doubles. McCain leads the Big 12 in batting average, hits, and on base percentage.
- Carson Teel made his 4th Big 12 Championship appearance in 4 games for the Cowboys. His 4th appearance ties a Big 12 Championship and breaks the record for pitching (last by: Preston Guillory TCU, 2016).
- Josh Holliday collects his 200th career victory while leading the Cowboys to their second-ever Big 12 Championship tournament title.
- Oklahoma State will now make their 43rd NCAA Regional appearance after finishing 8th in Big 12 Conference standings.
Texas (37-22, 3-2 Big 12 Championship)
- Starting pitcher, Morgan Cooper threw 3.0 innings giving up 1 run on three hits. Cooper pitched at least 5 innings in 12 of his 13 starts in 2017.
- The Texas offense was productive with two outs going 8-16 on the day. 4 out of their 5 runs were scored with two outs.
- Texas gathers their 1st loss in 6 Big 12 Championship game appearances.
STAT OF THE GAME:
4 - OSU's Carson Teel appeared in four games pitching a total of 8.1 innings during the 2017 Phillips 66 Baseball Championship. He allowed just five hits, struck out 10, and tolerated only one earned run.
Big 12 teams await their postseason fate with the NCAA set to announce the 2017 championship field on Monday.
2017 BIG 12 ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM:
Catcher: Colin Simpson, Oklahoma State
First Base: Jackson Cramer, West Virginia
First Base: Kacy Clemens, Texas
Second Base: Ryan Cash, Oklahoma State
Shortstop: David Hamilton, Texas
Third Base: Elliott Barzilli, TCU
Outfield: Garrett McCain, Oklahoma State
Outfield: Darius Hill, West Virginia
Outfield: Ryan Sluder, Oklahoma State
Designated Hitter: Braden Zarbnisky, West Virginia
Designated Hitter: Bryce Fischer, Oklahoma State
Starting Pitcher: Blake Battenfield, Oklahoma State
Starting Pitcher: Isaiah Kearns, West Virginia
Starting Pitcher: Brian Howard, TCU
Relief Pitcher: Carson Teel, Oklahoma State
MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER: Garrett McCain, Oklahoma State