OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 1 Texas Tech took care of No. 5 Baylor, 4-1, in game five of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship on Thursday morning. The win keeps the Red Raiders alive in the championship, while the Bears are eliminated.
The Red Raiders' bats got going early in the second inning. An RBI double by Ryan Long and a two-run homer by Orlando Garcia put Texas Tech up by three. The next four innings would be a pitcher's duel as no runs were scored.
In the seventh, Richard Cunningham was able to get Baylor on the board by an RBI double that scored T.J. Raguse, who reached second on a baulk. Texas Tech's Cody Farhat immediately responded with a solo home run the next inning. Baylor left 11 runners on base in today's game.
Both starting pitchers went six innings and allowed seven hits each. In the end, The Red Raiders' three-run second inning was too much of a deficit for the Bears to overcome. Steven Gingery receives his ninth win on the year.
Big 12 Championship Notes
- Texas Tech is currently 18-33 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Baylor is currently 32-37 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Texas Tech still trails Baylor 4-3 in the all-time series during Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 1 seeds are currently 48-34 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 5 seeds are currently 28-38 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Baylor is now eliminated from the tournament with two losses.
- Texas Tech will look to face the loser of No. 4 WVU and No. 8 OSU.
Texas Tech (42-14, 1-1 Big 12 Championship)
- Steven Gingery went six full innings with six strikeouts and giving up seven hits. He now leads the Big 12 in total games won with 9.
- Texas Tech was shut out once during the regular season and responded beating a highly ranked Ole Miss team 5-1. After being shut out yesterday Tech responds with a 4-1 victory.
- Hunter Hargrove continues his hot bat moving his hitting streak to 14 games with a double in the second. Hargrove improves his doubles total to 23, leading the Big 12. He later scored to give Tech their first run of the championship.
- Orlando Garcia hit deep two-run home run early for the Red Raiders. Garcia is now third in the Big 12 standings with 12 home runs on the year. Garcia has hit five homeruns in four games against BU.
- Ryan Long goes 3-for-3 with a double and two singles, while Cody Farhat adds on his first homerun of the season in the eighth.
Baylor (34-21, 0-2 Big 12 Championship)
- Richard Cunningham knocked in a team leading 29th RBI with a double to get the Bears on the board.
- Big 12 Co-Newcomer of the Year Montana Parsons gave up three runs early on four straight hits.
- Baylor has 49 home runs through 53 regular season games, however none hit in two tournament games. The Bear's offense produced two runs scored in the Championship.
STAT OF THE GAME:
.067 – The Baylor Bears went 1-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
The Red Raiders will advance to face the loser of the No. 4 West Virginia and No. 8 Oklahoma State matchup tomorrow at 3:15 p.m. CT. For the Bears, their tournament run ends with their second loss. Baylor falls to 34-21 on the year and will await an NCAA Tournament berth on Monday.