OKLAHOMA CITY – A late push from No. 3 Oklahoma falls short in game six of the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship as No. 2 TCU took a 9-4 victory Thursday afternoon.
TCU got it rolling in the bottom of the second inning while Oklahoma's Jake Irvin gave up three walks and three hits that would give the Horned Frogs a three-run lead. Josh Watson started the rally with an RBI double.
In the sixth inning, TCU added on another run through a wild pitch. Evan Skoug built another run for the Horned Frogs by knocking a double to score Austen Wade.
The Horned Frogs would then reach home again twice in the same inning on a throwing error and an RBI single by Elliott Barzilli. The next inning, Evan Warner singled to left field to score two and bring the run total to nine.
The Horned Frogs relied heavily on the pitching of Jared Janczak who threw five scoreless innings. He limited the Sooners to three hits and eight strikeouts.
However, Oklahoma did not go down quietly and squeezed out four runs in the ninth inning. Kyle Mendenhall and Brandon Zaragoza both generated hits to score total of three runs. The Sooners picked up another run with a bases loaded walk, but ultimately fell short.
Big 12 Championship Notes
- TCU is currently 10-6 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Oklahoma is currently 36-35 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- TCU takes the lead over Oklahoma 1-0 in their first ever Big 12 Championship tournament meeting.
- No. 2 seeds are currently 41-32 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 3 seeds are currently 29-39 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Oklahoma is now eliminated from the tournament with their two losses. TCU will play an elimination game with the loser of the Kansas vs. Texas matchup.
TCU (40-15, 1-1 Big 12 Championship)
- TCU starting pitcher Jared Janczak pitched three perfect innings against Cal last week. He continued that momentum pitching five scoreless innings, striking out eight, and allowing three hits. Janczak gets the win and moves to a Big 12 best of 8-0.
- Elliott Barzilli has now reached base safely in the last 12 straight games. Barzilli has five hits in eight at-bats and two of TCU's 12 runs in the Championship.
- TCU Outfielder's Josh Watson and Austen Wade got the Frogs rolling by hitting two RBI doubles in bottom of the second. Wade has multiple hits in both of the TCU Big 12 Championship games, marking his 36th and 37th multi-hit game of his career.
- Nolan Brown steals his Big 12 leading 27th stolen base.
Oklahoma (34-22, 0-2 Big 12 Championship)
- Oklahoma took two out of three from the Frogs earlier in May in Big 12 play.
- Oklahoma faced two of the Big 12's best, UT's Nick Kennedy yesterday and TCU's Jared Janczak today. Both have combined for a 15-1 record against opposing teams in the regular season.
- Oklahoma is now 0-4 at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in 2017.
STAT OF THE GAME:
.538 – TCU went 7-of-13 with runners in scoring position.
With the victory, TCU will advance to face the loser of the No. 6 Texas and No. 7 matchup tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. CT. With their second loss of the tournament, Oklahoma is eliminated from the Championship falls to 34-22 on the season. The Sooners await an NCAA Tournament berth on Monday.