OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 8 Oklahoma State remains undefeated in Championship play as it knocks off and eliminates No. 4 West Virginia in an extra-inning thriller, 4-3. The Cowboys clinch a berth in Sunday's Big 12 Championship game.
Both the Cowboys and Mountaineers started with four-and-a-half scoreless innings and left a combined 10 runners on base.
In the bottom of the fourth, West Virginia's Darius Hill reached base on a walk and later scored on a sacrifice fly delivered by Jackson Cramer.
Oklahoma State got on the board in the sixth as Garrett McCain slapped a three-run double to give the Cowboys a 3-1 lead.
The Mountaineers immediately responded by putting up two hits in the bottom of the sixth and scored their second run on a wild pitch.
In the bottom of the ninth, West Virginia scored a run off Jimmy Galusky's double to tie the game.
First-team All-Big 12 member Garrett McCain proved to be clutch for the Cowboys as he knocked an RBI double in the 10th inning to score Jacob Chappell to capture the win. Garrett McCain went 3-for-5 from the plate and accounted for all four Cowboy runs.
West Virginia freshman pitcher Kade Strowd gave the Mountaineers a career long five and two thirds innings and struck out seven, but Oklahoma State reliever's Trey Cobb and Carson Teel finished the last four innings together allowing only three hits and one run.
Big 12 Championship Notes:
- West Virginia is currently 8-8 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Oklahoma State is currently 24-35 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- OSU leads WVU 3-1 in the all-time series of Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 4 seeds are currently 41-31 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 8 seeds are currently 23-33 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- OSU beat WVU 8-4 in their second game of the 2017 Big 12 Championship.
- West Virginia is eliminated with their second loss. Oklahoma State advances to the Championship game and will await either TCU or Texas. Oklahoma State returns to the Big 12 Championship game for the first time since 2015.
West Virginia (34-24, 2-2 Big 12 Championship)
- Kade Strowd went five and two thirds innings striking out seven, giving up two earned runs on three hits. Jackson Sigman relieved Strowd, making his second appearance against Oklahoma State in Championship play. Sigman came in and gave up a 3-run double in the sixth.
- Darius Hill went 3-for-3 with a double. He also scored one of the three runs on the day for the Mountaineers.
- Jackson Cramer sacrifice fly in the fourth ties, teammate, Kyle Gray for most RBI in the tournament thus far with six. West Virginia's Cole Austin is also tied for third with four RBI in Big 12 Championship play.
Oklahoma State (29-25, 3-0 Big 12 Championship)
- Collin Simpson captures his Big 12-leading seventh hit of Championship play.
- Garrett McCain, one of the Big 12's best hitters, knocked a 3-run double in the top of the sixth to mark his 11th double of the year. McCain also hit the go-ahead RBI single in the top of the 10th to go 3-for-5 with four RBI.
- Oklahoma State is the first No. 8 seed to advance to the Championship game since Missouri in 2011. Oklahoma State is also the first No. 8 seed to win their first three games of Championship play.
STAT OF THE GAME:
8 - OSU becomes the first No. 8 seed to win its first three games in Big 12 Championship history.
With the win, Oklahoma State advances to face either No. 2 TCU or No. 6 Texas in the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship game. First pitch for Sunday's contest is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT on FSSW+. With West Virginia's loss, the Mountaineers end their season 35-25 and will wait to learn their postseason fate on Monday.