OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 7 Kansas toppled No. 2 TCU in game three of the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Wednesday evening, 7-3.
After a quick and quiet first inning, TCU got the bats rolling when Zach Humphreys hit a two-run triple that scored Elliot Barzilli and Ryan Merrill. Kansas' Matt McLaughlin responded in the third inning with a two-run triple of his own to tie the ball game at 2-2. Two batters later, Jaxx Groshans singled to give the Jayhawks the lead and score Matt McLaughlin.
After four scoreless innings, TCU was able to steal a base in the seventh and get Zach Humphreys into scoring position. Austen Wade smacked an RBI single to tie the game at three. However, the Jayhawks would respond and go up by one in the eighth by the bat of Devin Foyle. In the same inning, the Jayhawks added insurance runs with David Kyriacou's sacrifice fly RBI and Brett Vosik's two-run single. Kansas scored four runs in the eighth for the victory.
Taylor Turski led the Jayhawks pitching with eight strikeouts and held TCU to two runs through six and a third innings. Nick Lodolo went seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits for TCU.
- TCU is currently 9-6 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Kansas is currently 10-15 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Kansas moves to 2-0 in all-time series against TCU during Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 2 seeds are currently 40-32 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 7 seeds are currently 23-34 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- The last time a No. 1 seed and a No. 2 seed lost in opening games of the Big 12 Championship was 2008.
TCU (39-14, 0-1 Big 12 Championship)
- Last time a Big 12 Championship No. 2 seed lost to a No. 7 seed was when No. 7 TCU beat No. 2 Oklahoma in 2013.
- TCU drops to 12-2 in games started by pitcher Nick Lodolo.
- Freshman Zach Humphreys hit his first career triple to knock in two RBIs in the bottom of the second.
- TCU's Austen Wade has reached base safely in 103 in 124 career games. Wade's RBI single in the bottom of the seventh marked his 17th multi-hit game of the 2017 season.
- TCU drops its first neutral site game of the year, moving to 3-1.
Kansas (29-26, 1-0 Big 12 Championship)
- The Jayhawks played the 14th toughest schedule in the NCAA, which ranks only second to Big 12 opponent No. 8 seed Oklahoma State who knocked off No. 1 seed Texas Tech earlier in the day.
- Kansas' starting pitcher Taylor Turski struck out eight and walked none through 6 and 1/3 innings, bringing his year total to 68 strikeouts in 76 innings pitched. Turski threw 108 pitches, 72 of them strikes.
- Kansas' Matt McLaughlin goes 2-for-3, including a two-RBI triple. McLaughlin has now reached base safely in 18 straight games.
- Devin Foyle hit a go-ahead RBI single in the top of the eighth. Kansas erupted to score four runs on four hits in the eighth.
STAT OF THE GAME:
4 – Kansas scored four runs in the eighth inning to secure the upset win.
With the win, Kansas will face the winner of the No. 3 Oklahoma and No. 6 Texas game tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. CT. TCU will look back to get on track through playing the loser of the Sooner-Longhorn matchup tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. CT.