* Steele Jantz has one of the most intriguing names in college football. He also has the starting quarterback job at Iowa State. Coach Paul Rhoads said the junior college transfer will be running the offense. His backup will be redshirt freshman Jared Barnett. Jantz, who threw for 3,676 yards and 37 touchdowns last season at a California junior college, has been impressive with his passing, running and leadership skills. “I feel comfortable,” Rhoads said. “Guys come from junior college all the time and make this transition.”
* Iowa State Junior Jerome Tiller, the only quarterback on the roster with starting experience at the Division I-A level, is academically ineligible. He'll sit out this season and work with the scout team. Tiller, who might wind up moving to a different position, will have two seasons of eligibility remaining if he gets his grades in order.
* While the Cyclones have settled their quarterback situation, they might start the season without one of their more experienced receivers. Senior Darius Reynolds suffered a broken toe in practice Thursday and might miss the season opener against Northern Iowa on Sept. 3.
* Jordan Webb, a third-year sophomore who wound up playing quarterback most of last season, has been named Kansas' starter for the 2011 season. He'll be backed up by senior Quinn Mecham. “Jordan Webb has done a great job of being a play maker,” coach Turner Gill said. “He’s improved as far as his overall talent. I’ve seen our players respond to him as a leader. He’s earned it. That’s why he’s our starting quarterback.”
* Oklahoma State junior Quinn Sharp has been one of the nation's top punters and kickoff specialists over the last two seasons. It appears he'll be taking over the kicking duties for Dan Bailey, last year's Groza Award winner. In Saturday's final scrimmage, Sharp made five consecutive field goals including a final attempt that split the uprights from 62 yards.
* Marquise Goodwin, a junior at Texas who is sitting out the 2011 football season to concentrate on track and field, earned the silver medal in the long jump on the final day of the 2011 World University Games with a jump of 26-4.25. Goodwin will next compete in the 2011 IAAF World Championships as he preps for his run at the 2012 Olympics.
* Junior Seth Doege has yet to officially be named Texas Tech's starting quarterback but it's apparent he is the team's best option. Doege threw three touchdown passes in the Red Raiders scrimmage Saturday. He also led the offense on another TD drive. All four scoring drives came against Texas Tech's first-team defense.
* Ruffin McNeill, the former Texas Tech defensive coordinator who is going into his second season as coach East Carolina, has lost 180 pounds since the end of last season. After topping the scales at 388 pounds, he underwent gastric bypass surgery. He also underwent a hip replacement procedure.