Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State), Jordan Evans (Oklahoma), Michael Barden (Texas Tech) and David Montgomery (Iowa State) received Big 12 football weekly honors. Rudolph (offense) was honored for the first time this season and third time in his career. Evans (defense), Barden (special teams) and Montgomery (newcomer) picked up their first award.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State, QB, Jr, Rock Hill, S.C.
· Rudolph completed 20-of-28 passes for 395 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions, and added a rushing touchdown in Oklahoma State’s 45-44 win over Texas Tech. It was his second straight game passing for more than 390 yards and completing at least 71 percent of his passes.
· His 213.5 passer rating was the highest of any Big 12 quarterback last week and it marked his second straight week of having a passer rating above 200.
· Had seven completions that resulted in gains of 20 yards or longer, highlighted by an 82-yard touchdown strike on a deep post route to James Washington.
· Has a season passer rating of 165.1, a mark that ranks ninth in the country.
· Ranks fifth nationally with 338.4 passing yards and is also in the top 10 in total offense, pass efficiency, yards per attempt and yards per completion. Is 12th nationally in touchdown passes and 16th in completion percentage.
· Career average of 308.0 passing yards per game ranks fourth among active FBS quarterbacks and his career pass efficiency rating of 156.2 ranks eighth among active FBS signal callers.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Jordan Evans, Oklahoma, LB, Sr, Norman, Okla.
· Evans keyed OU's defensive effort in a 45-24 win over No. 25 Baylor with a team-high nine tackles, two sacks, two interceptions and two pass breakups.
· Became the first player in OU history and the first FBS player since at least 2012 to record at least two interceptions and two sacks in a game.
· First interception came at the OU goal line and led to a 91-yard TD drive that put the Sooners up 21-0. Returned his second pick 23 yards to the Baylor 1-yard line in the fourth quarter. Samaje Perine scored on the next play to give OU a 35-10 lead.
· Entered the game with two career interceptions and doubled the total last Saturday. Has three interceptions on the season (returned one 33 yards for a score against Kansas).
· Thanks in part to Evans’ four passes defended, OU held Baylor to a 45.7 pass completion rate (21-of-46).
· Ranks sixth in the Big 12 with 7.6 tackles per game.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Michael Barden, Texas Tech, K/P, So, Austin, Texas
· Barden completed a 15-yard pass on a fake punt to give Texas Tech a crucial first down against Oklahoma State.
· Executed and recovered his own surprise onside kick to give Tech the ball down seven in the fourth quarter.
· Punted the ball five times, including a long punt of 57 yards, which was one of two times he pinned the Cowboys inside their own 20-yard line.
· Averaged 64.8 yards on six kickoffs, with three resulting in touchbacks.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
David Montgomery, Iowa State, RB, Fr, Cincinnati, Ohio
· Montgomery was instrumental in Iowa State’s 31-24 win at Kansas as he rushed for a career-high 169 yards on 24 carries.
· Tallied 105 of his yards in the second half, helping the Cyclones overcome an early deficit.
· Busted out runs of 30 and 46 yards, the two longest rushes by a Cyclones running back this season.
· Became the 11th Iowa State freshman to rush for over 100 yards in a game.
· 5th-best single game rushing total by a Cyclone freshman in school history.
· Averaged 7.0 yards per carry.
2016 BIG 12 FOOTBALL WEEKLY AWARDS WINNERS
|Date||Offensive Player of the Week||Defensive Player of the Week|
|Sept. 6||Kenny Hill, TCU, QB, Jr
Tyrone Swoopes, UT, QB, Sr
|Chris Nelson, UT, DT, So|
|Sept. 12||Patrick Mahomes II, TTU, QB, Jr||Orion Stewart, BU, S, Sr|
|Sept. 19||James Washington, OSU, WR, Jr||Ty Summers, TCU, LB, So|
|Sept. 26||Seth Russell, BU, QB, Sr||Travon Blanchard, BU, NB, Jr|
|Oct. 3||Shock Linwood, BU, RB, Sr||Elijah Lee, K-State, LB, Jr|
|Oct. 10||Dede Westbrook, OU, WR, Sr||Josh Carraway, TCU, DE, Sr|
|Oct. 17||Skyler Howard, WVU, QB, Sr||Ryan Reid, BU, CB, Sr|
Patrick Mahomes II, TTU, QB, Jr
|Jordan Willis, K-State, DE, Sr|
D’Onta Foreman, UT, RB, Jr
|Vincent Taylor, OSU, DT, Jr|
D’Onta Foreman, UT, RB, Jr
|Travin Howard, TCU, LB, Jr|
Mason Rudolph, OSU, QB, Jr
|Jordan Evans, OU, LB, Sr|
|Date||Special Teams Player of the Week||Newcomer of the Week|
|Sept. 6||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr|
|Sept. 12||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr|
|Sept. 19||Dominique Heath, K-State, WR/PR, So
Zach Sinor, OSU, P, So
|JaMycal Hasty, BU, RB, Fr|
|Sept. 26||Byron Pringle, K-State, WR/KR/PR, So
Desmon White, TCU, WR/KR/PR, Jr
|Justice Hill, OSU, RB, Fr|
|Oct. 3||Austin Seibert, OU, K/P, So||Justice Hill, OSU, RB, Fr|
|Oct. 10||Byron Pringle, K-State, WR/KR/PR, So||D.J. Reed, K-State, DB, So|
|Oct. 17||Cole Moos, KU, P, Jr||Devin Duvernay, UT, WR, Fr|
|Oct. 24||Ben Grogan, OSU, PK, Sr||Justice Hill, OSU, RB, Fr
|Oct. 31||Zach Sinor, OSU, P, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr
|Nov. 7||MIchael Dickson, UT, P, So||Justin Crawford, WVU, RB, Jr
|Nov. 14||MIchael Barden, TTU, P/K, So||David Montgomery, ISU, RB, Fr