OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 6 Texas jumped out to an early start and never looked back to defeat No. 3 Oklahoma in game four of the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship Wednesday night, winning 8-4.
Texas got off to a hot start when Kacy Clemens knocked a two-run home run in the first inning. Due to a throwing error on a single, the Longhorns' Zane Gurwitz was able to score, generating the third run in the first inning. Two innings later, Clemens delivers another two run home run.
The Longhorns' defense held the Sooners to three hitless innings. However, in the fourth inning, the Sooners totaled three hits, including an RBI single from Austin O'Brien. The Sooners kept the rally going in the fifth when Steele Walker hit a two-run double to give Oklahoma three runs.
Texas quickly answered in the sixth inning when David Hamilton hit a RBI double. OU's Steele Walker launched a solo home run in the seventh to cut the Longhorns lead to two. Then, two Texas runners advanced and scored on a throwing error in the ninth inning to close out the game.
Sooners threw six pitchers who combined to allow eight runs on 10 hits. Four Longhorns pitchers allowed four runs on eight hits en route to the victory.
Big 12 Championship Notes
- Oklahoma is currently 36-34 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Texas is currently 38-28 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Texas leads Oklahoma 5-1 in the all-time series during Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 3 seeds are currently 29-38 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 6 seeds are currently 36-30 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
Texas (35-20, 1-0 Big 12 Championship)
- Kacy Clemens' 1st inning two-run home run marks a team leading 10th home run of the season. Clemens hit his second two-run home run of the night, moving him to 11 home runs on the year as well as tying him for third most in the Big 12 this year.
- Nick Kennedy leads the Big 12 in regular season wins with 8 in 16 appearances, in part to the Longhorns producing a team high 57 runs scored when he pitches. Kennedy struck out eight in 4 and 1/3 innings and gave up three earned.
- Chase Shugart came in relief pitching 2 and 2/3rd giving up one earned run. Shugart was relieved in the eighth inning by usual starting pitcher Morgan Cooper who pitched two scoreless innings.
- All Big 12-Freshman David Hamilton hit three doubles driving in one run against the Sooners. Hamilton bests his previous game high in doubles (2 vs Kansas, 2017).
- Texas fielding percentage of .984 leads the Big 12 and ranks second best in the nation. The longhorns were errorless against the Sooners.
Oklahoma (34-21, 0-1 Big 12 Championship)
- Oklahoma has qualified and appeared in all 21 Big 12 Championship Tournaments (Tied with Baylor for most appearances).
- Austin O'Brien RBI singled and scored two runs in the fifth, moving up to third in the Big 12 in total hits for 2017.
- Oklahoma Nathan Wiles pitched 2 and 1/3rd giving up five runs on four hits. Relievers Ryan Madden, JB Olson, Braidyn Fink, Vincenzo Aiello and Kyle Tyler combined went 6 and 2/3rd giving up 3 earned runs.
- Oklahoma lost both games against Oklahoma State in the Bedlam Series at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City. Oklahoma is now 0-3 in Oklahoma City in 2017.
STAT OF THE GAME:
2 – With two home runs, Texas' Kacy Clemens moved to third in the Big 12 in home runs this season.
With the victory, Texas will advance to compete against No. 7 Kansas tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. CT. Oklahoma will look to bounce back tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. CT against No. 2 TCU.