Status: Full-Time Exempt Position
Reports to: Commissioner
Location: 400 East John Carpenter Freeway, Irving, Texas 75062
Travel: As required in execution of duties, anticipated up to 10%
The Big 12 Conference, Inc., one of the premiere amateur collegiate athletic conferences, is seeking to add an experienced Senior Associate Commissioner/Legal Counsel to its existing senior management team in Dallas, Texas. This new role will combine administrative functions to support the intercollegiate athletics operations of the Conference and its 10 member institutions with primary responsibility for the Conference's operational legal matters.
This position requires an experienced sports administrator and attorney who thrives in an independent, exciting and fast-paced environment and who has a passion for the complex and varied world of collegiate sports.
The successful candidate will enhance the strengths of the Conference's existing senior management staff in one or more of the following areas: revenue creation and maximization, electronic media and OTT media distribution dynamics, NCAA and Conference regulatory compliance and enforcement, competition management and scheduling, financial management, and/or coordination with and management of relations with the Conference's external partners.
In addition, the successful candidate will work in conjunction with the Conference's outside legal counsel, and will manage legal matters relating to the Conference's operations. Responsibilities will include handling human relations and benefits, operational contract compliance, corporate governance and university member relations, nonprofit organization and corporate compliance and maintenance, regulatory enforcement, and other legal aspects of the Conference's operations.
The Senior Associate Commissioner/Legal Counsel must be able to perform his or her responsibilities independently, but in a collaborative manner with the other members of the Conference's management team, and be interested in handling a broad and rapidly varying range of business and legal matters. Experience working with membership-focused nonprofit organizations and organizations with an educationally-related mission is a plus.
- At least six to ten (6 to 10) years of applicable experience
- Experience and a proven track record in collegiate sports administration at the NCAA, conference, or university level, or with the USOC or an Olympic National Governing Body, or other amateur or professional sports organization, in an area of specialization that complements the strengths of the Conference's existing management team
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited U.S. Law school and membership in good standing as a member of the State Bar of Texas, the ability to qualify by reciprocity for membership in the State Bar of Texas, or the willingness to successfully pass the Texas Bar Exam as a prerequisite to employment
- Experience in a leading law firm or corporate or university legal department in handling the various legal matters related to corporate operations
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with both internal and external audiences
- Strong analytical skills and ability to navigate and solve complex issues
- Ability to work in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team and the ability to identify and execute projects with minimal direct supervision
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience and includes a full and robust benefits package.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to HRGLC@big12sports.com. No 3rd party agencies please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT
The Big 12 Conference, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are hired, compensated, promoted, disciplined and evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, gender identity and/or expression, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. The Big 12 Conference, Inc. strictly prohibits any and all discrimination and harassment based upon an individual's race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, gender identity and/or expression, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Any incident of such harassment or discrimination must be immediately reported to the appropriate management level employee.
Available: ASAP - June 30, 2017
The Communications Assistant will assist with day-to-day communications operations, serve as the Conference's primary baseball media contact, and facilitate social media efforts.Duties Include:
- Facilitate the administration of all Conference social media accounts.
- Serve as primary communications contact for baseball, working in conjunction with Conference staff, member schools and media as needed.
- Assist with media operations for the Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship and hosting of the NCAA Men's Basketball Regional and Women's Basketball Final Four.
- Handle announcement of all academic programs administered by the Conference.
- Contribute to communications plan as necessary.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree required. Applicants should have a strong knowledge of sports. Experience with social media and baseball is preferred. Excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to multitask are expected. Some travel and weekend work is required. Candidate should be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office. Prior experience in collegiate athletics is desired, but not required.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Brad Clements, Assistant Commissioner/Human Resources Director
Big 12 Conference
400 East John Carpenter Freeway
Irving, TX 75062
Big 12 Conference is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.