Oklahoma State’s Garrett Benge and Jonathan Heasley along with TCU’s Jared Janczak have been selected for the fifth set of Big 12 baseball weekly awards. Benge and Heasley helped the Cowboys to a 5-0 week while Janczak’s efforts helped the Horned Frogs clinch their conference series vs. Kansas.
This is the second career allocate and Player of the Week award for Benge while Janczak and Heasley record their first weekly honor.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Garrett Benge, Oklahoma State, Jr., 3B, Yukon, Okla.
- Led the Cowboys to a 5-0 week that included a midweek series sweep of New Mexico and a weekend sweep of Northwestern State.
- Hit .471 (8-for-17), reaching base safely in all five games and leading the Cowboys with four home runs, 11 RBIs, six runs, 21 total bases and a 1.235 slugging percentage. He also added a double and four walks.
- Benge’s hot hitting saw him move into the top 10 in the Big 12 with a .356 batting average, and he now leads the conference in homers (5), RBIs (26), on-base percentage (.484) and slugging percentage (.658). He also ranks in the top 10 in the league in walks (18), hits (26) and total bases (48).
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Jared Janczak, TCU, So., RHP, Belton, Texas
- Retired the first 22 batters he faced and tossed eight no-hit innings at home vs. Kansas.
- Mowed down the Kansas hitters for most of the game, retiring 24 of 25 batters heading into the ninth inning with only two balls left the infield.
- Of his 14 strikeouts, seven of them were called strike three. He pitched around a one-out error in the eighth before surrendering the no-hitter in the ninth.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Jonathan Heasley, Oklahoma State, Fr., RHP, Plano, Texas
- Made a pair of appearances and picked up a win and a save, striking out six in 7 2/3 innings and allowed only one run on one hit.
- In OSU’s midweek series opener against New Mexico, Heasley took the mound in the ninth with the tying run on deck in a 3-0 game and retired the only batter he faced for the game’s final out as he picked up his team-leading third save of the season.
- Having been used mostly as the Cowboys’ closer this season, the start on Saturday vs. Northwestern State marked Heasley’s team-high 10th appearance but just his second start, tossing 7 1/3 innings and racking up a career-high six strikeouts in a 98-pitch effort.
Date Player Pitcher Newcomer Feb. 21 Hunter Hargrove, TTU, Sr., 1B Jake Irvin, OU, So., RHP Josh Jung, TTU, Fr., 3B Feb. 27 Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B Steven Gingery, TTU, So., LHP Travis Wacker, OSU, Jr., C March 6 Luken Baker, TCU, So., 1B/DH Parker Rigler, KSU, Sr., LHP*^ Tucker Cascadden, BU, Jr., IF March 13 Tanner Gardner, TTU, Jr., OF Carson Teel, OSU, So., LHP* Brylie Ware, OU, So., DH March 20 Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B* Jared Janczak, TCU, So., RHP* Jonathan Heasley, OSU, Fr., RHP
*Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week; ^NCBWA National Player of the Week