2008 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship
Game 5: No. 1 Kansas State vs. No. 8 Iowa State
March 12, 2008
Final Score: Iowa State 66 - Kansas State 65 (OT)
Iowa State: Lacy, Bolte, Ezell, Nisleit, Anderson
Kansas State: Lehning, Dietz, Kincaid, Sweat, Gipson
2007-08 Regular Season
Kansas State won both regular season matchups against Iowa State this season. The Wildcats rolled to an 80-49 victory in Manhattan in January, but narrowly edged the Cyclones, 45-42, on the road in Ames.
Updated Head-to-Head Figures
- Kansas State leads the all-time series 43-25
- KSU is now 5-2 against ISU in championship history
- Now in his 13th year at ISU, Bill Fennelly is 17-11 against Kansas State
- Deb Patterson is now 12-14 against Iowa State in her 12-year career at KSU
At the Conference Tournament
- ISU (and Bill Fennelly) is now 20-10 all-time at the conference tournament
- KSU currently owns a 11-12 overall record in tourney action
At Municipal Auditorium
- ISU is 15-5 all-time at Municipal Auditorium
- The Wildcats are now 5-4 all-time in the second round
- The Cyclones are currently 7-4 in second-round games
- The No. 1 is 11-1 in the second round, while the eighth seed currently stands 1-4.
- This was the first time in championship history that a No. 1 seed was defeated in the first round
KSU by the Numbers
- Marlies Gipson scored her 10th point of the game with :02 left in the first half to put her team up 25-24 heading into intermission. The McPherson, Kansas, native has now posted double-digit points in 23 games and 15+ points in seven contests this season.
- Gipson, the team's leader in blocks, has now had a block in all but three of the team's 30 games this season. With her pair of stuffs, Wednesday, she is now seventh on the Big 12 career blocks list.
- Shalee Lehning tallied her fifth double-double and 10th effort grabbing 10+ rebounds this season
- Lehning, entering the game 11th in the nation in assists per game (6.4), has dished out five or more assists in 23 games this season.
- Ashley Sweat has now blocked two or more shots in four contests this season
- KSU, the conference's leader in 3-point field goal percentage defense, gave up 12 treys on the day
- The Wildcats went on a 7-0 run to end the half and are now 19-2 on the season now when leading at the halfway point
- KSU is still looking for its 100th win (currently at 99) in program history in the month of March
ISU by the Numbers
- Heather Ezell scored eight 3-pointers to break the previous Big 12 Championship single game record of seven. She is now six treys off the sixth spot on ISU's 3-point FG made list
- Ezell's 26 points was her second-highest total of the season
- Jocelyn Anderson recorded her third double-double since the opening of conference play
- Alison Lacey tied her career high in steals with three
- When trailing at the half ISU is 3-8. It is the second time of the season they trailed by one at intermission.
- This is the 10th time that the team has had four players score in double digits
- The Cyclones have now hit a 3-pointer in 412 consecutive contests
- This is the 10th time this season that the team has drained 10+ treys in a game
- The team's .333 regulation free throw percentage was its second lowest of the season
- ISU is now 3-7 in 2007-08 against AP top-25 teams
- This was just the fifth time in tournament history that a game went to overtime (Missouri beat Oklahoma in OT on Tuesday)
- The Cyclones are now undefeated (2-0) this season in the overtime period
- The Wildcats currently stand 1-0 on the season in games sent to OT. They are now 1-1 in the extra frame at the Big 12 Championships and 0-1 at conference against ISU.