By Wendell Barnhouse | firstname.lastname@example.org
Big12Sports.com CorrespondentDefense to offense
Through the first four weeks of the season, Big 12 teams have scored 13 touchdowns while on defense.Week Five:
Oklahoma State’s James Thomas (63-yard fumble return against Texas A&M), Baylor’s Tim Atchison (14-yard interception return against Kansas).Week Four:
Iowa State’s Jeremy Reeves (94-yard interception against Northern Iowa), Iowa State’s A.J. Klein (25-yard interception return against Northern Iowa), Carl Gettis, 19-yard fumble return against Miami (Ohio).Week Three:
Texas Tech’s Jarvis Phillips (87-yard interception return against Texas), Nebraska’s Alfonzo Dennard (31-yard interception return against Washington) and Iowa State’s A.J. Klein (69-yard interception return against Kansas State).Week Two:
DeJon Gomes, Nebraska (40-yard interception return against Idaho; Rickey Thenarse, (47-yard interception return against Idaho).Week One:
Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (7-yard blocked punt return against Washington State), Keenan Robinson, Texas (10-yard fumble return against Rice), Dustin Harris, Texas A&M (38-yard interception return).Baylor (4-1, 1-0; vs. Texas Tech Saturday in Dallas)
* Quarterback Robert Griffin III established a career high for passing yards (380) and tied career highs for completions (26), attempts (36) and passing TDs (three). Griffin III has 10 40-yard passes this season, including seven for touchdowns. His 11 touchdown passes average 44 yards.
* Robert Griffin’s 444 yards of total offense set a school record.
* Robert Griffin’s 94-yard touchdown pass to Josh Gordeon is the longest offensive play in school history.
* Sophomore receiver Josh Gordon is averaging 23.4 yards on 14 receptions. He has four touchdown receptions that average 58 yards.
* Kicker Aaron Jones has 10 field goals in five games. Baylor had nine field goals in 12 games last season. Jones’ 50-yard field goal was the first from that distance since Adam Stiles was good from 50 against Texas A&M on Oct. 6, 2001.
* The 55-7 victory over Kansas was the Bears’ largest margin of victory in a conference game. Baylor defeated Arkansas by 47 points in 1922 in a Southwest Conference game. The Bears’ largest margin in a Big 12 game had been 28 points.
* The 55 points are a Big 12 record for Baylor. The Bears scored 49 against Iowa State in 1996.
* Baylor established records for total offense (678) and passing yards (434).Colorado (3-1, 0-0; at Missouri Saturday)
* Running back Rodney Stewart, who had the second-best rushing game of his career (149 yards) converted on a third-and-one and a fourth-and-one carry. He is seven-for-seven this season in those situations and 18-of-20 in his career.
* Quarterback Tyler Hansen had a 39-yard run on Colorado’s first scoring drive. It’s the longest run by a CU quarterback since Bernard Jackson's 62-yard TD run against Kansas State on Nov. 4, 2006.
* Colorado is 3-1 for the first time since 2008, which also is the last time the Buffs won back-to-back games.
* The Buffs scored on their opening drive for the first time this season. They also allowed their opponent to score on its opening drive for the first time this season.
* Colorado has rushed for 200 or more yards in back-to-back games. The last time that happened was 2006.
* Georgia averaged 10.6 yards on first down plays (317 yards on 30 plays), but managed just 92 yards on 29 second/third down plays (3.2 per).Iowa State (3-2, 1-1; vs. Utah Saturday)
* Sophomore defensive back Jeremy Reeves’ 42-yard return of Texas Tech’s onside kickoff was the first Iowa State kickoff return since Troy Davis went 99 yards against Colorado on Nov. 19, 1994. It was only the second by a Cyclone at Jack Trice Stadium.
* The Cyclones had two 100-yard rushers (Alexander Robinson, 103 yards; Shontrelle Johnson, 104) in a conference game for the first time since Nov. 18, 2000 (Ennis Haywood, 190, and Michael Wagner, 102, vs. Kansas).
* Quarterback Austen Arnaud had a career-high four touchdown passes.
* Linebacker A.J. Klein has intercepted a pass in each of the last three games.
* The Cyclones’ 52 points was the most scored in a Big 12 game, the most since a 58-6 victory over Tennessee Tech in 2002 and the most scored in a conference game since scoring 55 against Kansas State in a Big Eight Conference game in 1972.Kansas (2-3, 0-1; vs. Kansas State Oct. 14)
* Wide receiver Daymond Patterson caught six passes for 53 yards. He has at least four catches in every game this season.
* Punter Alonso Rojas had two punts downed inside the 20-yard line in the first half. Rojas ranked fourth in the Big 12 in this category with five heading into the weekend.
* Sophomore D.J. Beshears had a season-high 12 carries for 47 yards.
* Baylor’s 678 yards of total offense were the most against Kansas since it surrendered 680 yards to Auburn in 1988.
* The Jayhawks have lost eight consecutive Big 12 games.Kansas State (4-0, 1-0, idle; vs. Nebraska Thursday)
* The Wildcats are receiving votes in both the media and the coaches’ polls as they come off an open date Saturday. Kansas State is playing consecutive Thursday night games – this week the Wildcats host Nebraska and on Oct. 14 they play at Kansas.Missouri (4-0, 0-0, idle; vs. Colorado Saturday)
* The Tigers are No. 24 in the media poll and No. 22 in the coaches’ poll going into their Big 12 Conference opener Saturday against Colorado.Nebraska (4-0, 0-0, idle; at Kansas State Thursday)
* The Huskers are No. 7 in the media poll and No. 6 in the coaches’ poll as they open Big 12 Conference play with a road game at Kansas State Thursday.Oklahoma (5-0, 1-0; vs. Iowa State Oct. 16)
* With 55 all-purpose touchdowns (44 rushing, nine receiving and two on kick returns), senior DeMarco Murray is second in program history with 55 and ranks behind Steve Owens (1967-69) with 57. Murray (330) is second in career points behind Owens (342).
* Senior defensive end Jeremy Beal has six sacks this season and his 26.5 career sacks is second behind Cedric Jones’ school record of 31.5.
* Freshman wide receiver Kenny Stills scored his first career touchdown on a 19-yard pass from Landry Jones. He finished with career highs in receptions (five) and yards (78).
* Oklahoma is 5-0 under Bob Stoops for the seventh time. Five of those 5-0 starts (2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2008) resulted in five Big 12 Championships and one National Championship.
* Freshman defensive back Tony Jefferson had nine tackles against Texas and has 29 stops in the last three games.
* The Sooners have a 63-20 scoring edge in the first quarter this season. Oklahoma has been outscored 51-17 in the fourth quarter.Oklahoma State (4-0, 1-0; at Louisiana Lafayette Friday)
* Sophomore wide receiver Justin Blackmon had 127 receiving yards against Texas A&M and has had at last 100 yards receiving in four consecutive games. Only two previous times has an OSU player had five-straight 100-yard receiving games (Hart Lee Dykes in 1988 and Rashaun Woods in 2002).
* Senior defensive end Ugo Chinasa has two career interceptions; both have come against Texas A&M.
* Freshman running back Joseph Randle recorded the first touchdown of his career on a 38-yard reception in the second quarter.
* Senior linebacker Orie Lemon (14) and sophomore cornerback Brodrick Brown (12) each had a career-high in tackles.
* Oklahoma State has seven interceptions in the last two games (three vs. Tulsa, four vs. Texas A&M).
* For the first time, the Cowboys have won three consecutive games in the series with Texas A&M.
* Oklahoma State has had 14 freshman see action so far this season.Texas (3-2, 1-1; at Nebraska Oct. 16)
* Sophomore quarterback Garrett Gilbert had a career-high 266 yards passing, besting the 264 yards he had in the Longhorns’ previous game.
* Wide receiver James Kirkendoll equaled his career high with eight receptions.
* Linebacker Keenan Robinson had a career-high 19 tackles.
* Running back Fozzy Whittaker matched his career high with six receptions.
* The Longhorns' streak of 162 appearances in The Associated Press top 25 poll, is over. The last time Texas wasn’t ranked was Oct. 15, 2000. Texas also dropped from No. 16 to unranked in the coaches’ poll, ending a streak of 190 weeks.
* Texas had 107 yards rushing but two runs accounted for 84 yards; take away those two plays and UT had 23 yards rushing on 20 attempts.
* Texas lost back-to-back games for the first time since falling to Kansas State on Sep. 29, 2007 and Oklahoma on Oct. 6, 2007.Texas A&M (3-1, 0-1; vs. Arkansas Saturday in Arlington, Texas)
* Senior quarterback Jerrod Johnson has 7,338 career passing yards, a school record. He’s the only 7,000-yard passer at a school with just three 6,000-yard passers in its history (Reggie McNeal, Corey Pullig and Kevin Murray).
* Junior wide receiver Jeff Fuller had two touchdown catches against Oklahoma State and has 21 in his career. That breaks Bob Long’s 42-year old record of 19.
* The Aggies have given up 14 turnovers in the last three games - four vs. Louisiana Tech, five vs. FIU and five vs. Oklahoma State.
* Texas A&M set a school record with 106 offensive plays against the Cowboys. The Aggies gained 535 yards, the 10th time in the last 17 games they’ve gained 500 or more yards.
* The Aggies were 15-of-26 on third and fourth down tries against Cowboys, including 11-of-21 on third down situations.Texas Tech (2-2, 0-2; vs. Baylor Saturday in Dallas)
* Senior quarterback Taylor Potts set the Jack Trice Stadium record for completions (42) and attempts (62).
* Wide receiver Lyle Leong had three touchdown catches. He has had four games in his career with three TD catches.
* Texas Tech's six-game win streak against Big 12 North Division opponents came to an end. The Red Raiders were 3-0 against the Big 12 North in both 2008 and 2009.
* Despite the loss, Texas Tech still leads the all-time series with Iowa State, 7-2. Both Red Raiders losses in the series have occurred in Ames.