Print RSS
Cowgirls Come From Behind To Defeat Nebraska
November 05, 2010
SAN ANTONIO - Kyndall Treadwell put in a goal three minutes into overtime off Megan Marchesano's corner kick and the Oklahoma State Cowgirls are headed to their second-straight Big 12 Soccer Championship final after defeating Nebraska 3-2 in a semifinal match Friday.

"I'm not one that usually wins stuff in the air," said Treadwell, a 5-3 junior forward. "My coaches told me to get in the box. I did, and I just put a put out there and it went it. It felt good -- finally."

The defending champion Cowgirls (17-3-1, 8-2-0 and ranked 11th nationally) will play fourth-seeded Oklahoma in Sunday's final. The Sooners (12-7-2) are headed to their first-ever Big 12 Championship final after upsetting top-seeded Texas A&M 1-0 just 1 ½ minutes into overtime on Friday.

The Championship game starts at noon at Blossom Soccer Stadium and will be televised by Fox Sports Network. This was only the third time the top four seeds had advanced to the semifinals, and the first time in six years.

"Playing Oklahoma probably makes it a little bit more exciting," OSU coach Colin Carmichael said.

The third-seeded Cornhuskers (13-7-1) were looking to advance to their first Big 12 Soccer Championship final in eight years.

The Cowgirls trailed 2-1 but tied it back up and got it headed toward overtime with six minutes to go when Whitney Wernimont put a penalty kick past a diving Tara Macdonald and into the upper left-hand corner of the goal. It was set up by Treadwell's shot that was fouled by Nebraska inside the box.

"We knew we would get chances," Carmichael said. "Nebraska is a very, very good offensive team. The flip side is they do leave some opportunities in the back.

"We had a few corners go on the near post and we were shouting at Kendall from the sideline to get on the near post, because it seemed like the previous two or three had landed there. It was a beautiful little flick and she was able to finish it off."

The Cornhuskers had the 2-1 lead with eight minutes on a Jordan Jackson header. The goal bounced in and past Adrianna Franch off a crossing pass from Ari Romero. It was Jackson's 12th goal of the season and her second of the tournament.

It was the second time Nebraska had led (the Huskers were 9-0 when they led at halftime this year). The Cornhuskers tacked up a 1-0 lead when two-time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year Morgan Marlborough put in a first-half penalty kick past Franch's outstretched arm 38 minutes into the game. Marlborough, a sophomore from Lee's Summit, Mo., has taken all of Nebraska's four penalty kicks this season and made each of them.

After Marlborough's score, the Cowgirls tied it in the 68th minute on Krista Lopez's goal. She received Sarah Brown's pass on the right side and quickly burst past the Cornhuskers defender and beat Macdonald with a low side shot. Macdonald got a hand on it but was unable to do much to slow down the blast.

< Soccer
Popular on
Load More