Texas Tech senior Hunter Hargrove and freshman Josh Jung along with Oklahoma sophomore Jake Irvin have earned the season’s first set of Big 12 baseball weekly awards. Hargrove and Jung’s performances helped lead the Red Raiders to a 3-1 start while Irvin assisted in the Sooners’ 2-1 series win over No. 17 Long Beach State. The awards mark the first weekly honors of their careers.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Hunter Hargrove, Texas Tech, Sr., 1B, Mansfield, Texas
- Hit .444/.944/.474 over four games and 18 at-bats away on the road in Starkville, Miss.
- Racked up eight hits, including three doubles and two home runs, seven RBI, five runs scored, 17 total bases and one walk.
- Hit 4-for-5 in season opener against Western Illinois, coming a triple shy of earning a cycle.
- Set a career-high four hits in a game against Western Illiois.
- First Red Raider to have four or more hits in a game since March 14, 2015.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Jake Irvin, Oklahoma, So., RHP, Bloomington, Minn.
- Pitched seven-shutout innings of one-hit baseball in the Sooners’ opening day victory over No. 17 Long Beach State.
- Surrendered a leadoff-single in the second before retiring each of the next 18 batters in a row to finish his night.
- Matched his career-high in strikeouts with 10, the most by a Big 12 pitcher on the weekend.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Josh Jung, Texas Tech, Fr., 3B, San Antonio, Texas
- Racked up a team-leading .467 batting average after the first four games of the year, including a .600 slugging percentage and .556 OBP.
- Picked up seven hits, including two doubles, three RBI, four runs, nine total bases and three walks in over 15 at-bats.
- Jung joins Hargrove as the only Red Raider with a hit in all four games this season, while also tallying three multiple-hit games this year, also a team-high.
Player of the Week Pitcher of the Week Newcomer of the Week February 21 Hunter Hargrove, Texas Tech, Sr., 1B Jake Irvin, Oklahoma, So., RHP Josh Jung, Texas Tech, Fr., 3B