Texas Tech junior Tanner Gardner along with Oklahoma State sophomore Carson Teel and Oklahoma sophomore Brylie Ware have been selected for the fourth set of Big 12 baseball weekly awards. Gardner helped Texas Tech pick up another top five victory while Teel shined in relief and Ware led OU in batting average. The awards mark the first weekly honors of their careers.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Tanner Gardner, Texas Tech, Jr., OF, Frisco, Texas
- Put together a .600/.867/.667 line in four games and 15 at-bats, racking up nine hits to reach base all but three times.
- Included in his nine hits were four doubles, along with three RBI and six runs scored while having multiple hits in all but one game, extending his overall hitting streak to nine games.
- Went 4-for-4 in the series opener against UTSA on March 10 with two RBI and one run scored while matching a career-best four hits set last season. Gardner put together a 2-for-3 evening against No. 4 Arizona on March 7 with a double and two walks, including three runs scored.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Carson Teel, Oklahoma State, So., LHP, Stillwater, Okla.
- Came out of the Oklahoma State bullpen and recorded a pair of wins last week for the Cowboys, working nine innings over two games and racking up 15 strikeouts, the most of any Big 12 hurler on the week, while allowing just one run on four hits and one walk.
- Recorded 10 strikeouts vs. No. 27 Missouri State, besting his previous career high of four and marking the most punchouts by an OSU pitcher this season.
- On Sunday, Teel came on and struck out three-straight batters to get out of a first inning jam, then worked a scoreless second inning - picking up two more strikeouts - to fuel OSU’s victory.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Brylie Ware, Oklahoma, So., DH, Sedgwich, Kan.
- Hit a team-leading .562 (9-for-16) in a 4-1 week for the Sooners with multiple three-hit games.
- Totaled seven runs scored, seven driven in two doubles and two walks with a .632 on-base and .688 slugging percentage. Ware went 3-for-3 with a double and three RBI in OU’s series-opening game against Buffalo.
- Finished the nightcap of Friday’s doubleheader with a 3-for-3, three-run, three-RBI performance and concluded the weekend by going 2-for-3 with three run and a RBI on Saturday.
Date Player Pitcher Newcomer Feb. 21 Hunter Hargrove, TTU, Sr., 1B Jake Irvin, OU, So., RHP Josh Jung, TTU, Fr., 3B Feb. 27 Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B Steven Gingery, TTU, So., LHP Travis Wacker, OSU, Jr., C March 6 Luken Baker, TCU, So., 1B/DH Parker Rigler, KSU, Sr., LHP*^ Tucker Cascadden, BU, Jr., IF March 13 Tanner Gardner, TTU, Jr., OF Carson Teel, OSU, So., LHP* Brylie Ware, OU, So., DH
*Collegiate Baseball National Pitcher of the Week
^NCBWA National Player of the Week