The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2017 Winter Scholar-Athletes of the Year. The following student-athletes have been selected as award winners for their respective sports based on the votes of each sport’s respective head coaches.
2017 BIG 12 MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Nathan Adrian, West Virginia, Sr., Morgantown, W.Va.
- Graduate school sport management major with a 3.85 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Named to the All-Big 12 Third Team and All-Big 12 Defensive Team in 2017.
- Started all 37 games for WVU this year and led the Mountaineers in rebounding.
2017 BIG 12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Kaylee Jensen, Oklahoma State, Jr., Genoa, Neb.
- Nutritional science/applied health major with a 3.82 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- The only Big 12 player to average a double-double this season with 18.7 points and 10.5 rebounds.
- Named to the 2017 All-Big 12 First Team.
2017 BIG 12 EQUESTRIAN SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Kari Hancock, TCU, Sr., Anchorage, Alaska
- Biochemistry major with a 3.97 grade-point average that participated in 92.3 percent of competitions.
- Earned Equitation on the Flat MOP honors at the conference championship and was named to the All-Big 12 team.
- Named NCEA All-American Equitation on the Flat First Team after completing a 8-2-2 record in the event.
2017 BIG 12 GYMNASTICS SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Leah Lomonte, Denver, Sr., Katy, Texas
- Psychology major with a 3.86 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Earned Event Specialist of the Week honors following a career-best 9.9 mark on bars during Senior Night.
- Member of the 2017 Academic All-Big 12 First Team.
2017 BIG 12 MEN'S SWIMMING & DIVING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
P.J. Dunne, Texas, Sr., Pensacola, Fla.
- Biochemistry/pre-med major with a 3.99 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Member of the 2017 Men’s Swimming and Diving All-Big 12 Second Team.
- At the 2017 Big 12 Championships, he finished fourth in the 200 freestyle, fifth in the 100 free and sixth in the 50 freestyle.
2017 BIG 12 WOMEN'S SWIMMING & DIVING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Amelie Currat, West Virginia, Jr., Dunkerque, France
- A finance major that boasts a 4.0 GPA and 100 percent participation this season.
- Earned All-Big 12 Second Team recognition following her performance at the 2017 Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championship.
- Recorded Academic All-Big 12 First Team honors for two straight years and an Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team honor as a freshman.
2017 BIG 12 WRESTLING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Clay Ream, North Dakota State, Sr., Wentzville, Mo.
- Biochemistry and molecular biology major with a 4.0 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Qualified for the NCAA Tournament after finishing in second place at the Big 12 Championship in the 157 pound bracket.
- Earned his second straight Elite 90 Award in 2017.
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sport. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 60 percent of the team’s scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.