OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 8 Oklahoma State outdueled No. 4 West Virginia in an offense battle to win game seven of the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, 8-4.
Oklahoma State started off fast as Colin Simpson blasted a two-run home run in the first inning. The Cowboys manufactured another run in the fourth when Ryan Cash scored with the bases loaded on a fielder's choice.
An RBI groundout by West Virginia's Brandon White scored one run as the Mountaineers responded in the next half inning.
The Cowboys then capitalized off Colin Simpson's fifth inning double as Dustin Williams was able to bring him in on an RBI single. The Cowboys' Ryan Sluder tacked on one more RBI to make it 5-1. West Virginia responded yet again in the fifth as Braden Zarbnisky knocked in Jackson Cramer.
In the top of the sixth, Colin Simpson hit his second homer of the day, a three-run shot. West Virginia fired back with two runs produced by a Darius Hill single and a Cole Austin sacrifice fly. The next three innings would be scoreless as Oklahoma State would hold on for the win.
In a game of 24 hits, Colin Simpson highlighted the day going 4-for-5, three runs scored, five RBIs and two home runs.
Big 12 Championship Notes
- OSU is currently 23-35 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- WVU is currently 7-7 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Oklahoma State takes the lead over West Virginia 2-1 in all-time series of Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 8 seeds are currently 23-33 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 4 seeds are currently 40-30 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Oklahoma State will have Friday off to await the winner of Texas Tech and West Virginia. West Virginia will match up in an elimination game with Texas Tech Friday afternoon.
Oklahoma State (28-25, 2-0 Big 12 Championship)
- Oklahoma State's Colin Simpson went 4-for-5 with a 2-run home and a 3-run home run. accounting for five RBI. His second home run marked a team leading 11th home run of the year. Simpson has gone 6-for-9 and is tied for first in the Big 12 Championship play with two home runs.
- Simpson has two previous two home run games: both against West Virginia and the last one on April 2 in Stillwater.
- Oklahoma State is the first No. 8 seed to win their first two games of Big 12 Championship play since Missouri in 2011.
West Virginia (33-23, 1-1 Big 12 Championship)
- West Virginia out hit Oklahoma State 13-11. West Virginia's has out-hit their opponents in their last four losses.
- BJ Myers, Sam Kessler, Cody Wood and Jack Sigman combined in relief efforts for West Virginia. Each pitcher gave up at least one earned run to the Cowboys.
- Mountaineer sophomore Braden Zarbnisky picked up his 9th multi-hit game going 4-for-4 with an RBI.
STAT OF THE GAME:
2 - OSU's Cody Simpson had two prior two home run games before today. Both opponents in those games have been West Virginia, the last one on April 2nd in Stillwater.
With the loss, West Virginia will play Texas Tech in an elimination game tomorrow at 3:15 p.m. CT. Oklahoma State will wait and play the winner of the Texas Tech-West Virginia matchup on Saturday at 9 a.m. CT.