OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 2 TCU's Championship hopes stay alive as it avoids elimination with a 9-2 win vs. No. 6 Texas Saturday afternoon. The Horned Frogs forced a third game on day four of the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship to fight for a spot in tomorrow's finale.
The Longhorns continued their previous two-game momentum as Patrick Mathis homered in the very first at-bat of the game.
TCU answered with a single, double and triple and took advantage of a fielding error to score four in the bottom of the first. The Horned Frogs kept pounding in the second inning as Austen Wade scored on a sacrifice fly.
After a scoreless inning for Texas, the bats stayed hot for TCU as they were able to score one run on three hits in the fourth.
The Horned Frogs struck again in the sixth when Evan Williams scored on a wild pitch. TCU added on some more runs as an error on a triple scores two in the eighth.
Texas generated one run as Austin Todd hit an RBI single to score Tate Shaw in the ninth.
Mitchell Traver carried TCU through seven innings and only allowed one run on four hits. Two of those hits came after the first inning. The Longhorns left four runners on base.
Austen Wade highlighted the Horned Frogs bats after he went 3-for-5, scored three runs and delivered two triples.
Big 12 Championship Notes
- TCU is currently 12-6 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- UT is currently 39-29 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- TCU now leads Texas 2-1 in all-time series of Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 2 seeds are currently 43-32 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 6 seeds are currently 38-31 all-time in the Big 12 Championship.
- Texas collects its first loss of Big 12 championship play. TCU and Texas will play again Saturday night in an elimination game. The winner will matchup with Oklahoma State in the 2017 Big 12 Championship game.
TCU (42-15, 3-1 Big 12 Championship)
- TCU Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle coached his 1,000th career game. Coach Schlossnagle has one of the best career win percentages (.685) of all head coaches in the Big 12.
- Zach Humphreys hit his 2nd triple of the season and his 2nd in championship play. Humphreys finished a productive day going 2-4 with 2 RBI, triple, sacrifice fly, and 1 run scored.
- Senior Ryan Merrill went 2-4 with 2 RBI, double, and a run scored. The short stop has appeared in 106 games and started 102, all at short stop.
- Mitchell Traver tied his career high of 7 innings pitched, giving up 1 earned run, and striking out a season high 8. Mitchell was dominant only allowing 4 hits resulting in his 3rd win of the year. Traver is now tied for third most strikeouts in 2017 championship play with teammate Jared Janczak and two others.
Texas (36-21, 2-1 Big 12 Championship)
- Longhorn's leadoff hitter, Patrick Mathis lead off the game with a solo home run. He collected another single and ended the day 2-4 with 1 RBI. Texas moves to 10-3 when Mathis hits leadoff.
- Starting pitcher, Kyle Johnston went 3 innings giving up 6 runs (2 earned) on 6 hits.
- The Texas offense went 1-11 with runners on, resulting in the Longhorns only scoring 2 runs on the day.
STAT OF THE GAME:
1,000 – TCU Coach Jim Schlossnagle coached his 1,000 career game today vs. Texas.
With the Horned Frogs win, TCU and Texas will meet for a second time Saturday afternoon. First pitch is set for 6:02 p.m. CT. today with the winner advancing to play No. 8 Oklahoma State in the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship game on Sunday.