Dollar General is excited to partner with the Big 12 Conference and ESPN Events to serve as the Official Discount Retail Sponsor for the Big 12 Conference for the 2017-2018 academic year. Additionally, the major discount retailer will serve as the Conference’s Official Homegating and Tailgating Headquarters and exclusive sponsor of the Dollar General Big 12 Championship Tour, which plans to host events at each of the 10 Big 12 Conference collegiate campuses during the 2017 football season.
“Given our understanding of how college sports resonate with our shoppers, Dollar General is excited to partner with the Big 12 Conference and ESPN Events to serve as the Conference’s Official Discount Retail Sponsor. We are excited to bring the first-ever Tailgate Tour to campuses across the conference this fall,” said Jason Reiser, Dollar General’s executive vice president and chief merchandising officer. “We look forward to engaging current and future Dollar General customers alike with the wide assortment of items available to enjoy every matchup this year. With more than 14,000 stores, many of which are near the Big 12 universities, it’s certainly going to be an electrifying and fun year in Big 12 homegating and tailgating celebrations.”
The Dollar General Big 12 Championship Tour will visit a Big 12 Conference football game each week beginning on Saturday, September 16. Each week’s Tour stop is scheduled to include a former Big 12 Conference player to meet customers and sign autographs, a celebrity grill master, tailgate games, giveaways and prizes and the opportunity to see the new Big 12 Football Championship trophy. Festivities are in partnership with major Dollar General vendor partners and brands including Pringles®, Cheez-It® crackers, DiGiorno® pizza, Bounty® paper towels, Reese’s® chocolate, Dixie® paper products and Kingsford® charcoal.
The tour is also scheduled to be part of festivities during the 2017 Big 12 Football Championship Game in Arlington, Texas on December 2, the 2017 Texas Bowl in Houston on December 27, the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship in Kansas City in March 2018 and the Big 12 Baseball Championship in Oklahoma City in May 2018. The full schedule is listed below.
- Saturday, September 16 – Oklahoma (Tulane)
- Saturday, September 23 – Oklahoma State (TCU)
- Saturday, September 30 – Kansas State (Baylor)
- Saturday, October 7 – Kansas (Texas Tech)
- Saturday, October 14 – Iowa State (Kansas)
- Saturday, October 21 – TCU (Kansas)
- Saturday, October 28 – Baylor (Texas)
- Saturday, November 4 – Texas Tech (Kansas State)
- Saturday, November 11 – Texas (Kansas)
- Saturday, November 18 – West Virginia (Texas)
- Saturday, December 2 – Big 12 Championship Game in Arlington
- Wednesday, December 27 – Texas Bowl in Houston
- Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship, March 7-10, 2018 in Kansas City
- Big 12 Baseball Championship – May 23-27, 2018 in Oklahoma City
“The Big 12 appreciates the association with Dollar General,” said Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “The Championship Tour provides a unique opportunity to build upon the game-day energy at each of our campuses to promote the return of our football championship game – the only conference championship game that guarantees a matchup featuring its top two teams.”