Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield was the top pick in the 2018 NFL Draft after being selected by the Cleveland Browns.
Mayfield is the 81st first-round selection in the Big 12 since its inception and the second Sooner quarterback taken as the top choice joining Sam Bradford in 2010. It marks the second-consecutive year a Big 12 signal caller has been selected in the first round and the 9th time overall.
Oklahoma is the lone program to produce two quarterbacks this millennium who were picked No. 1 overall, and the only program since the 1940s to produce two No. 1 QB picks in a 10-year period. It is also one of just six schools to have at least four former players go No. 1 overall.
Mayfield was a 2017 unanimous first-team All-American and a two-time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year. The two-time first-team All-American is the Big 12 career record-holder for yards per pass attempt (9.7), touchdowns responsible for (153) and consecutive games with at least one TD pass (40). He set the OU career record for completion percentage (.698), passing efficiency rating (189.4), TDs responsible for (138) and pass attempt streak with no interceptions (200), and ranks second in FBS history in passing efficiency rating (175.4), third in yards per attempt, fourth in TD passes (131) and fifth in total offense (15,690 yards).
The 6-1, 215-pounder also led OU to 34-6 overall and 25-2 Big 12 records the last three years, while guiding the Sooners to three Big 12 titles as well as the Orange Bowl (CFP), Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl (CFP). All that after joining the program as a walk-on following his unannounced transfer from Texas Tech, where he was also a walk-on.
In 2017, Mayfield also won the Maxwell Award, Davey O'Brien Award, Manning Award, Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award and Walter Camp Player of the Year Award, and was named AP Player of the Year and Sporting News Player of the Year.
He set the single-season OU record with four Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week awards, and led the FBS in completion percentage (.705), points responsible for (296) and yards per pass attempt (11.5). Mayfield broke his own FBS single-season record for passing efficiency rating (198.9), and set another school single-season record with his 4,938 yards of total offense. He finished second in OU single-season annals in completion percentage and touchdown passes (43) while ranking third in passing yards (4,627).
Big 12 NFL Draft Picks
1. Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma), QB, Browns
- Connor Williams (Texas), OL, Cowboys
- James Washington (Oklahoma State), WR, Steelers
- Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State), QB, Steelers
- Malik Jefferson (Texas), OLB, Bengals
- Orlando Brown (Oklahoma), OL, Ravens
- Mark Andrews (Oklahoma), TE, Ravens
- Joseph Noteboom (TCU), OL, Rams
3. Keke Coutee (Texas Tech), WR, Texans
16. Dorance Armstrong (Kansas), DE, Cowboys
19. Kyzir White (West Virginia), S, Chargers
5. D.J. Reed (Kansas State), CB, 49ers
9. Tre Flowers (Oklahoma State), S, Seahawks
12. Michael Dickson (Texas), P, Seahawks
23. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (Oklahoma), DE, Rams
16. Deshon Elliott (Texas), S, Ravens
17. Dylan Cantrell (Texas Tech), WR, Chargers
32. Matt Pryor (TCU), OT, Eagles
10. Marcell Ateman (Oklahoma State), WR, Raiders
13. Travin Howard (TCU), LB, Ra