Irving, Texas - The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2019 Winter Scholar-Athletes of the Year. The following student-athletes have been selected as award winners for their respective sports based on the votes of each sport’s respective head coaches.
2019 BIG 12 MEN’S BASKETBALL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Michael Jacobson, Iowa State, R-Jr., Waukee, Iowa
- Finance major with a 3.80 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Named Google Cloud Academic All-America Second Team.
- Helped guide the Cyclones to the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship crown and earned All-Tournament Team recognition.
2019 BIG 12 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Peyton Williams, Kansas State, Jr., Topeka, Kan.
- Double Major in Anthropology and International Studies with a 3.922 GPA and participated in 97% of this year’s contests.
- Selected to the Google Cloud Academic All-District VII First Team.
- Earned All-Big 12 First Team and Big 12 All-Defensive Team honors after averaging 15.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game.
2019 BIG 12 EQUESTRIAN SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Sarah Miller, Oklahoma State, Sr., Boulder, Colo.
- Applied Exercise Science/Strength & Conditioning major with a 3.82 GPA and participated in every competition this season.
- Completed the 2018-19 Equestrian season with a 7-3-1 regular season record, her highest career win record.
- Landed a spot on the NCEA All-American Second Team.
2019 BIG 12 GYMNASTICS SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Abby Kaufman, West Virginia, Jr., York, Pa.
- Exercise physiology major with a 4.0 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Named to Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team (2017) and a two-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team honoree (2018, 2019).
- Posted career highs this season on vault (9.85), uneven bars (9.85), floor (9.875) and all-around (39.225).
2019 BIG 12 MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Ryan Kelly, West Virginia, Jr., Whitby, Ontario
- Mathematics major with a 3.87 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Two-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team honoree (2018 and 2019).
- Helped the men’s 800 freestyle relay to a bronze medal at the 2019 Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championship with a time of 6:35.38.
2019 BIG 12 WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Evan Hundley, Iowa State, Sr., Eldridge, Iowa
- An industrial engineering major that boasts a 3.97 GPA and 100 percent participation this season.
- Three-time Academic All-Big 12 First-Team honoree (2017, 2018 and 2019).
- Named “Cyclone Relay Swimmer” after helping break a school record in the 200 medley and 400 free relays.
2019 BIG 12 WRESTLING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Rico Montoya, Northern Colorado, Sr., Las Vegas, N.M.
- Earning a master’s degree in sport administration with a 4.00 grade-point average and 84 percent participation.
- Finished sixth at the 2019 Big 12 Wrestling Championship in the 125-pound weight division.
- Qualified for his third consecutive NCAA Championship.
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sport. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 20 percent of the team’s scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.