STILLWATER, Oklahoma – The Oklahoma State men and women swept the team titles at the 2015 Big 12 Cross Country Championship. The OSU men continued their reign over the Big 12 cross country scene as they secured their eighth-consecutive Big 12 title, while the Oklahoma State women took home their first Big 12 crown.
The OSU sweep marks the first cross country sweep by any school since Colorado achieved the feat at the 2007 championship.
The Oklahoma State men totaled 28 team points en route to victory. Oklahoma came in second with 50 points, earning the Sooners their second-consecutive runner-up finish. Oklahoma was followed by Texas, which took third with 83 points. Iowa State (93) and Kansas (111) rounded out the top five.
Vegard Oelstad brought home the men’s crown for the Cowboys, completing the 8,000-meter course in a time of 23:58.9. Oelstad’s individual title comes a year after a 12th place finish and All-Big 12 honors in 2014. He was followed by Oklahoma’s Jacob Burcham (23:59.9) and OSU teammate Cerake Geberkidane (24:07.1). The Cowboys had four runners finish in the top 10.
On the women’s side, OSU totaled 34 points on the way to its first team championship in Big 12 history. Iowa State took second place with 52 points and West Virginia came in third with 118 points totaled. Kansas (129) and Oklahoma (152) rounded out the top five.
Iowa State boasted the top two finishers in the women’s race for the second-consecutive year, with Perez Rotich (20:47.9) taking first and Erin Hooker grabbing second (20:49.0). Rotich and Hooker both claimed All-Big 12 honors last year as well, with Hooker finishing ninth and Rotich 12th in 2014. Following the two Cyclones was Big 12 Newcomer of the Year Ingeborg Loevnes from OSU in third place with a time of 20:50.6.
Joining Loevnes with Newcomer of the Year honors was fellow Oklahoma State runner, Joshua Thompson, who finished 10th on the men’s side with a time of 24:44.8 to earn the award.
Next up for the Big 12 cross country teams will be NCAA regional competitions, which kick off on Nov. 13 for qualifying teams.
Top 15 Men’s Finishers (All-Big 12 Team)
1. Vegard Oelstad, Oklahoma State, 23:58.9
2. Jacob Burcham, Oklahoma, 23:59.9
3. Cerake Geberkidane, Oklahoma State, 24:07.1
4. Brandon Doughty, Oklahoma, 24:18.6
5. Jacob Morgan, Kansas, 24:21.2
6. Craig Nowak, Oklahoma State, 24:36.3
7. Toby Hardwick, Iowa State, 24:39.2
8. Chad Noelle, Oklahoma State, 24:39.2
9. Brady Turnbull, Texas, 24:41.9
10. Joshua Thompson, Oklahoma State, 24:44.8
11. Dylan Blankenbaker, Oklahoma, 24:46.7
12. Jacob Pickle, Texas, 24:52.9
13. Nathan Rodriguez, Iowa State, 24:57.6
14. Eric Aldritt, Oklahoma, 24:58.6
15. Evan Landes, Kansas, 24:59.8
Top 15 Women’s Finishers (All-Big 12 Team)
1. Perez Rotich, Iowa State 20:47.9
2. Erin Hooker, Iowa State 20:49.0
3. Ingeborg Loevnes, Oklahoma State, 20:50.6
4. Kaela Edwards, Oklahoma State, 20:51.1
5. Maggie Montoya, Baylor, 20:57.4
6. Natalie Baker, Oklahoma State, 20:58.4
7. Jocelyn Caro, Texas Tech, 21:04.2
8. Brittany Tretbar, Oklahoma, 21:05.4
9. Anna Boyert, Oklahoma State, 21:09.1
10. Morgan Wedekind, K-State, 21:09.4
11. Sharon Lokedi, Kansas, 21:09.6
12. Aurora Dybedokken, Oklahoma State, 21:11.1
13. Belle Wallace, Oklahoma, 21:16.7
14. Molly Sughroue, Oklahoma State, 21:18.9
15. Abby Caldwell, Iowa State, 21:26.2
Newcomer of the Year
Men: Joshua Thompson, Oklahoma State
Women: Ingeborg Loevnes, Oklahoma State