The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2016 Fall Scholar-Athletes of the Year. The following student-athletes have been selected as award winners for their respective sports based on a vote of each sport head coaching group.
2016 BIG 12 MEN'S CROSS COUNTRY CO-SCHOLAR-ATHLETES OF THE YEAR
Chris Melgares, Kansas, Jr., Manhattan, Kan.
- An exercise science major that boasts a 3.99 GPA and 75 percent participation.
- Placed 17th at the 2016 Big 12 Cross Country Championship, second on his team.
- Selected to the Academic All-Big 12 Team each of the past two seasons.
Luis Martinez, Oklahoma State, Jr., Rio Rancho, N.M.
- Majoring in entrepreneurship, he has a 3.74 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Finished fifth at the 2016 Big 12 Cross Country Championship, helping OSU earn the team title.
- Has been named to an Academic All-Big 12 Team three times.
2016 BIG 12 WOMEN'S CROSS COUNTRY SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Jillian Forsey, West Virginia, Jr., Stephenville, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Exercise Physiology major with a 3.79 grade-point average that participated in 83.3 percent of competitions.
- Made her third NCAA Championships appearance this season and first as an individual qualifier.
- Finished second at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals with a time of 20:09.
2016 BIG 12 FOOTBALL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Patrick Mahomes, II, Texas Tech, Jr., Whitehouse, Texas
- Majoring in marketing with a 3.64 GPA and 100 percent game participation.
- Led the Big 12 in total offense and passing yards per game and was third in pass efficiency.
- Named to the All-Big 12 Second Team for the 2016 season.
2016 BIG 12 SOCCER SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Rachel Ressler, Oklahoma, Sr., Phoenix, Ariz.
- A chemical biosciences major that boasts a 3.55 GPA and 100 percent participation this season.
- Started all 23 matches for the Sooners as a key part of the backline.
- Scored five goals and two assists for 12 points en route to All-Big 12 First Team honors.
2016 BIG 12 VOLLEYBALL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Cassie Wait, Kansas, Sr., Gardner, Kan.
- Law major with a 3.90 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Named the 2016 Big 12 Libero of the Year and a member of the All-Big 12 First Team.
- Led the conference in digs this season with 581 (5.10 dpg).
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sports. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 60 percent of the team’s scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.