Oklahoma State juniors Garrett Benge and Travis Wacker along with Steven Gingery of Texas Tech has been selected for the second set of Big 12 baseball weekly awards. Benge and Wacker helped the Cowboys earn a win at No. 19 Arizona State and home series win over Texas State while Gingery helped TTU to a perfect 5-0 record in week two.
The awards mark the second weekly honor for Gingery while Benge and Wacker collect the first allocates of their careers.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Garrett Benge, Oklahoma State, Jr., 3B, Yukon, Okla.
- In four games, Benge hit .471 (8-for-17) with two doubles, a home run and a team-high eight RBI and .765 slugging percentage.
- Hit safely in all four games, including three multi-hit efforts and a pair of three-RBI performances.
- Against Texas State, he was OSU’s leading hitter, going 7-for-14 with seven RBI. In the series-clinching finale on Sunday, he drove in three of OSU’s six runs in the 6-3 victory.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Steven Gingery, Texas Tech, So., LHP, Huntington Beach, Calif.
- Picked up his second win of the season in as many starts, pitching a 7.0 inning gem against California on Feb. 25.
- Struck out a season-high seven Golden Bears, giving up only one run on two hits and began the game with six-straight scoreless frames ...
- His two hits allowed ranked at the top of the conference in fewest hits given up last week and leads the conference in wins (2) and innings pitched (14.0 - 7.0 IP/G).
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Travis Wacker, Oklahoma State, Jr., C, Frisco, Texas
- In four games, he was OSU’s leading hitter with a .500 average (7-for-14) that included a pair of doubles and a team-high eight RBI.
- Recorded a pair of three-hit performances, going 3-for-4 with a double, two walks and three RBI against Arizona State and also turning in a 3-for-4 performance in the second game of the Texas State series that included a double and two RBI.
- With OSU clinging to a one-run lead in the bottom of the eighth inning of the series opener against the Bobcats, he collected a two-out, two-RBI single to extend the lead and help seal the Cowboys’ win.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week||Newcomer of the Week|
|February 21||Hunter Hargrove, Texas Tech, Sr., 1B||Jake Irvin, Oklahoma, So., RHP||Josh Jung, Texas Tech, Fr., 3B|
|February 27||Garrett Benge, Oklahoma State, Jr., 3B||Steven Gingery, Texas Tech, So., LHP||Travis Wacker, Oklahoma State, Jr., C|