Texas Tech’s Orlando Garcia along with West Virginia’s Michael Grove and Will Brennan of Kansas State have been selected for the eighth set of Big 12 baseball weekly awards. This is the third career honor for Grove and Garcia and Brennan’s first career allocate.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Orlando Garcia, Texas Tech, Jr., INF, El Paso, Texas
- Put together an impressive .471/1.176/.550 line at the plate this week, helping fuel the Red Raiders to a 3-1 record which included a series victory over No. 29 Baylor.
- Racked up eight hits, including four home runs against the Bears; tallied 11 RBI while scoring six runs for 20 total bases and three walks.
- Blasted a homer in all three games against Baylor, including two in Sunday’s finale.
- Garcia is the first Red Raider to hit a home run in three consecutive games since Eric Gutierrez against BU on May 16-18, 2013.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Michael Grove, West Virginia, So., RHP, Wheeling, W.Va.
- Took a perfect game into the eighth inning and allowed just one hit with a season-best 12 strikeouts to lead West Virginia to an 8-0 victory against Kansas on Saturday.
- Retired the first 23 batters he faced and did not allow a baserunner until giving up a line-drive single with two outs in the eighth inning.
- In 8.0 innings, Grove’s 12 strikeouts led the Big 12 last week and was one shy of tying his career high, and he has now struck out at least eight batters in four of his last five starts.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Will Brennan, Kansas State, Fr., OF, Stilwell, Kan.
- Led K-State with a .500 average (6-for-12) and four runs scored at Oklahoma State over the weekend.
- Had multiple hits in two of the three games, including a three-hit game Saturday, as he extended his season-best hitting streak to eight games.
- Brennan’s hot stretch has moved him into third in the Big 12 in hitting with a .356 season average. Also with a pair of walks, the Stilwell, Kansas, product had a .600 OBP and remains the second-toughest to strikeout in the league at over 15 at-bats per K.
Big 12 BASEBALL Weekly Awards
|Feb. 21||Hunter Hargrove, TTU, Sr., 1B||Jake Irvin, OU, So., RHP||Josh Jung, TTU, Fr., 3B|
|Feb. 27||Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B||Steven Gingery, TTU, So., LHP||Travis Wacker, OSU, Jr., C|
|March 6||Luken Baker, TCU, So., 1B/DH||Parker Rigler, KSU, Sr., LHP*^||Tucker Cascadden, BU, Jr., IF|
|March 13||Tanner Gardner, TTU, Jr., OF||Carson Teel, OSU, So., LHP*||Brylie Ware, OU, So., DH|
|March 20||Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B*||Jared Janczak, TCU, So., RHP*||Jonathan Heasley, OSU, Fr., RHP|
|March 27||Austen Wade, TCU, Jr., OF||Nolan Kingham, UT, So., RHP||Grant Little, TTU, Fr., OF|
|April 3||Renae Martinez, OU, Sr., C||Jared Janczak, TCU, So., RHP||Nick Lodolo, TCU, Fr., LHP|
|April 10||Orlando Garcia, TTU, Jr., INF*||Michael Grove, WVU, So., RHP*||Will Brennan, KSU, Fr., OF|
*Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week; ^NCBWA National Player of the Week