Texas Tech’s Michael Davis along with West Virginia’s BJ Myers and Brandon White and James Cosentino of Kansas have been selected for the ninth set of Big 12 baseball weekly awards. This is the second career honor for Davis and Myers while White and Cosentino collect their first career recognition. This is the first co-honors this season and first since May 23, 2016.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Michael Davis, Texas Tech, Jr., INF, Lubbock, Texas
- Put together an impressive .450/1.050/.450 line last week at the plate, helping the Red Raiders to a 3-1 overall record.
- Led the Red Raiders in hits (9), RBI (7) and home runs (3), launching three dingers in three-straight games, including a double and a triple while also scoring six runs.
- Helped turn a season-high four double plays against the Wildcats in the series finale, helping put away K-State for the series victory.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
BJ Myers, West Virginia, Jr., RHP, Flower Mound, Texas
- Had another dominant outing on the mound on Friday against No. 3 TCU, pitching 8.1 innings and allowing just two earned runs on six hits with six strikeouts and a walk.
- Had his sixth quality start of the season and fifth in his last six starts while helping lead West Virginia to a 5-4 win, the highest-ranked opponent WVU has beaten in program history.
- Threw 126 pitches and held the Horned Frogs to a .194 batting average. Myers now leads the Big 12 in innings pitched (61.1) and is in the top 10 in strikeouts and opponent batting average.
CO-NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
James Cosentino, Kansas, Fr., 2B, Leawood, Kan.
- Helped Kansas to a 3-1 week with tremendous presence at the plate against Wichita State and Oklahoma State.
- Posted a .417 batting average on the week that included two doubles, three runs, three RBIs, four walks, a .583 slugging and a .579 on-base percentage.
- Against Oklahoma State, Cosentino made 15 trips to the plate, and reached base safely in 10 of them (five hits, three walks and two hit-by-pitches) while recording a team-high two doubles, .667 on-base percentage and .778 slugging percentage, respectively.
CO-NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Brandon White, West Virginia, Fr., CF, Winter Springs, Fla.
- Led the team with a .625 batting average, five hits, a .700 slugging percentage and two stolen bases in WVU’s series win against No. 3 TCU.
- Was 5-8 at the plate and added two walks while recording no errors in the outfield.
- Against TCU, White was the only Mountaineer with a batting average above .375 in the series and had at least one hit in every game, including a team-high-tying three hits on Saturday.
Big 12 BASEBALL Weekly Awards
Date Player Pitcher Newcomer Feb. 21 Hunter Hargrove, TTU, Sr., 1B Jake Irvin, OU, So., RHP Josh Jung, TTU, Fr., 3B Feb. 27 Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B Steven Gingery, TTU, So., LHP Travis Wacker, OSU, Jr., C March 6 Luken Baker, TCU, So., 1B/DH Parker Rigler, KSU, Sr., LHP*^ Tucker Cascadden, BU, Jr., IF March 13 Tanner Gardner, TTU, Jr., OF Carson Teel, OSU, So., LHP* Brylie Ware, OU, So., DH March 20 Garrett Benge, OSU, Jr., 3B* Jared Janczak, TCU, So., RHP* Jonathan Heasley, OSU, Fr., RHP March 27 Austen Wade, TCU, Jr., OF Nolan Kingham, UT, So., RHP Grant Little, TTU, Fr., OF April 3 Renae Martinez, OU, Sr., C Jared Janczak, TCU, So., RHP Nick Lodolo, TCU, Fr., LHP April 10 Orlando Garcia, TTU, Jr., INF* Michael Grove, WVU, So., RHP*^ Will Brennan, KSU, Fr., OF April 17 Michael Davis, TTU, Jr., INF BJ Myers, WVU, Jr., RHP James Cosentino, KU, Fr., 2B
Brandon White, WVU, Fr., CF
*Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week; ^NCBWA National Player of the Week