Current Baseball Notes in PDF
• In the wake of this week’s devastating storm in the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, the Big 12 Conference postponed the start of the 2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship. The event begins Thursday, May 23, and will feature pool play. Pool One consists of K-State, Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas Tech, while pool two features Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Kansas and TCU. The two winners of each pool will face off in the Championship finale on Sunday.
• Big 12 regular season champion K-State highlighted the 2013 All-Big 12 Baseball Team with four individual award winners and seven first team selections. The Wildcats earned the Player of the Year (Ross Kivett), Freshman of the Year (Jake Matthys) and Coach of the Year (Brad Hill) while Jared King shared Scholar Athlete of the Year honors with Jantzen Witte from TCU. WVU’s Harrison Musgrave was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year, while Kansas reliever Jordan Piché is the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.
• This marks the 15th year the Big 12 Baseball Championship has been played in Oklahoma City. For the first time, all games will be televised to a national audience with Thursday-Saturday’s action on Fox College Sports. FSN will carry Sunday’s championship finale.
• K-State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State entered the week in the top 25 of at least one of the four national polls. The Wildcats sit as high as No. 15 (Baseball America), while the Cowboys earned a No. 12 ranking by the NCBWA. OU is No. 24 on the USA Today Coaches’ rankings.
• The Wildcats won their first Big 12 baseball championship with a walkoff win over Oklahoma last Friday. It marked the first conference baseball title for K-State in 80 years. Kansas State became the second Big 12 member to claim regular season crowns in football, men’s basketball and baseball in the same year. Texas accomplished the feat during the 2005-06.
• Of the current league teams participating in the event, the Bears (.509) and Sooners (.500) have the best winning percentages. Those two teams are also the only squads to qualify for every Big 12 baseball championship event in league history.
• The winner of the 2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship earns the league’s automatic bid into the 2013 Division I NCAA Baseball Championship. The Road to Omaha Selection Show will air on Monday, May 27 at 11 a.m. CT on ESPNU.