Current Baseball Notes in PDF
• Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will represent the Big 12 Conference in the 2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship field. The Wildcats will serve as a regional host for the first time in school history. Action begins this Friday, May 31, and will conclude on Monday, June 3 (if necessary).
• The Big 12’s three selections ties for the fifth-most by one conference in this year’s event. Overall, the Big 12 has totaled 90 NCAA appearances and is 176-131 in Regional games. The Big 12 has sent multiple teams to Super Regional action in 11 years, including each of the past three seasons. Additionally, the league has had 15 teams advance to the College World Series.
• The Wildcats enter the week ranked as high as No. 13 (Baseball America), while Oklahoma (USA Today Coaches’ Poll) and Oklahoma State (NCBWA) sit as high as No. 18.
• K-State, which claimed its first Big 12 baseball title this season, will play host to the Shockers Friday at 2 p.m., in a game that will be televised nationally on ESPNU. Bryant and Arkansas make up the rest of the Manhattan Regional.
• Oklahoma makes its 36th NCAA appearance and sixth consecutive. The Sooners swept the field at the Big 12 Championship last weekend to claim its first tournament crown since the conference’s inaugural season in 1997. OU enters the regional with an overall record of 40-19 -- the team’s fifth consecutive 40-win season, which is matched only by Florida State and Rice entering the postseason.
• The visit to Virginia for an NCAA Regional will be Oklahoma’s third in the past four seasons. OU traveled through the Charlottesville Regional en route to its 2010 College World Series appearance and the same site last season for a Super Regional berth. OU opens against Coastal Carolina with Virginia Tech and UConn rounding out the regional field.
• This year’s NCAA Tournament berth marks the 39th in OSU baseball history, a total which ranks fourth all time. It marks the Cowboys’ first NCAA tourney appearance since 2011. Oklahoma State will face Miami (Fla.) to open play in a regional that also features host Louisville and Bryant. The Cowboys’ last Super Regional appearance came in 2007.
• Big 12 regular season champion K-State highlighted the 2013 All-Big 12 Baseball Team with four individual award winners and seven first team selections. The Wildcats earned the Player of the Year (Ross Kivett), Freshman of the Year (Jake Matthys) and Coach of the Year (Brad Hill) while Jared King shared Scholar Athlete of the Year honors with Jantzen Witte from TCU. WVU’s Harrison Musgrave was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year, while Kansas reliever Jordan Piché is the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.