Volleyball Notes in PDF
• Texas will face 12th-seeded and 13th-ranked Wisconsin in the national semifinals on Thursday, Dec. 19, at KeyArena in Seattle. First serve is set for 6:30 p.m. CT and is on ESPN2. With a win, UT advances to the national championship and will face second-seeded Penn State or third-seeded host Washington on Saturday, Dec. 21, at 8:30 p.m. CT on ESPN2.
• Texas is making its ninth national semifinals appearance after winning the Lincoln Regional last week with a 3-1 victory over American and a sweep over the host Huskers. It marks the fourth national semifinals trip in the past five years for the defending national champions.
• In addition to last season when the Longhorns claimed their second national championship, UT also made "Final Four" appearances from 2008-10, in 1995 and from 1986-88. The Longhorns have played in four national championship matches.
• The Longhorns are 4-4 (.500) overall in national semifinal matches, including a 2-1 (.667) mark since 2009. Texas sports an overall record of 75-27 (.735) in NCAA Championship matches, including a 37-10 (.787) mark under head coach Jerritt Elliott.
• Overall, the Big 12 has sent 12 teams to the national semifinals with a 5-6 record in those matches. The league has claimed three national championships - Texas (2012) and Nebraska (2000 & 2006).
• UT’s sweep of Nebraska at home marked the first time the Huskers have been swept in Lincoln in NCAA postseason play. It was also the first sweep for NU at home in 24 years.
• Texas has won a school-record 10 consecutive postseason matches and is on a 23-match winning streak. The Longhorns have not lost a match since Sept. 13
• Iowa State, Kansas and Oklahoma also earned NCAA Championship berths. The Jayhawks were swept for the first time this season by No. 3 national seed Washington in the Los Angeles Regional Semifinals last Friday. Oklahoma advanced to the second round with a win over Alabama before losing to third-seeded Stanford. Iowa State dropped its opening round match against Colorado in Minneapolis.
• The 2013 Big 12 postseason awards include: Haley Eckerman, Texas (Player of the Year), Kristen Hahn, Iowa State (Libero of the Year), Erin McNorton, Kansas (Setter of the Year), Chiaka Ogbogu, Texas (Freshman of the Year), and Ray Bechard, Kansas (Coach of the Year).