Eight Big 12 women’s basketball players were selected in the 2013 WNBA Draft to bring the Conference’s all-time total to 95 in the 17-year history of the professional league.
The Conference’s eight picks were among the top 32 players in the 36-player draft.
Baylor’s Brittney Griner became the Big 12’s first No. 1 pick as she was selected by the Phoenix Mercury. Oklahoma State’s Toni Young was also taken in the first round at No. 7 by the New York Liberty to give the Conference 31 first round selections since 1997.
Iowa State teammates Chelsea Poppens (Seattle Storm) and Anna Prins (Connecticut Sun) along with K-State’s Brittany Chambers (Los Angeles Sparks) were chosen in the second round.
Third round selections included Baylor’s Brooklyn Pope (Chicago Sky), Kansas’ Angel Goodrich (Tulsa Shock) and Oklahoma’s Whitney Hand (San Antonio Silver Stars).
Baylor and Iowa State were two of just five schools with more than one player drafted.
2013 WNBA Draft
1. Brittney Griner (Baylor), Phoenix Mercury
7. Toni Young (Oklahoma State), New York Liberty
18. Chelsea Poppens (Iowa State), Seattle Storm
22. Brittany Chambers (K-State), Los Angeles Sparks
23. Anna Prins (Iowa State), Connecticut Sun
28. Brooklyn Pope (Baylor), Chicago Sky
29. Angel Goodrich (Kansas), Tulsa Shock
32. Whitney Hand (Oklahoma), San Antonio Silver Stars