Current Baseball Notes in PDF
• Oklahoma ranks in the top 10 in three of the four national polls, including a No. 8 ranking on the Collegiate Baseball list. Along with the Sooners, Oklahoma State is ranked in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll, sitting at No. 22. The Cowboys are also ranked 26th by the NCBWA. K-State is receiving votes on from the same poll as well as from the NCBWA rankings.
• The Sooners claimed their first series victory against Texas in 15 years with a 4-2 win at UFCU Disch-Falk Field Sunday to remain atop the Big 12 standings. It was the first series win against the Longhorns since a sweep in Norman in 1998. It was also OU’s first series win in Austin since the first year of Big 12 Conference affiliation in 1997. Overall, the series featured just 10 runs as OU outscored UT, 6-4.
• K-State captured a perfect 5-0 week with a sweep of Texas Tech in Manhattan over the weekend win. The Wildcats have swept TTU at home in consecutive series and have won nine of their last 10 games against the Red Raiders. K-State sits in second-place in the league standings.
• Baylor overcame a series opening loss against WVU in Waco with wins on Saturday and Sunday to claim the series win. Saturday’s victory ended the Mountaineers’ eight-game winning streak. Kansas also picked up a conference series win, taking two of three from No. 19 Oklahoma State last weekend. Both teams will continue league play at home this weekend as KU hosts Texas and Oklahoma visits the third-place Bears.
• OU junior infielder Matt Oberste snapped his hit streak at 30 games on Friday. The streak, an OU program record , ties for the second longest (single-season) in Big 12 history (Gene Alvarez, Texas Tech, 2002 & James Blair, Baylor, 1997). Oberste is on pace to become the first player to win the Big 12 triple crown since KU’s Tony Thompson in 2009.
• TCU head coach Jim Schlossnagle earned his 400th win at TCU on Monday. In his 10th season with the Horned Frogs, Schlossnagle has a 402-193 overall mark.
• Texas’ Corey Knebel moved into a tie on the Big 12’s career saves chart. The junior’s 35 saves is six shy of tying former Longhorn Huston Street’s record of 41. Erich Weiss also cracked the top 10 career triples chart. His 14 triples are six shy of the league record.
• K-State is ranked third in the nation in batting average (.331), fourth in hits (372) and tenth in on-base percentage (.413). Individually, TTU’s Trey Masek leads the nation with a 0.23 ERA.