Current Baseball Notes in PDF
• Four Big 12 teams are ranked or receiving votes entering the week. Oklahoma checks in as high as No. 10 (Collegiate Baseball) and is ranked in the top 13 of all four national polls. OSU moved up to No. 20 on the NCBWA list and sits at No. 19 in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll. For the fourth week in a row, K-State is also receiving votes, while West Virginia is receiving votes for the first time this season.
• Baylor, Oklahoma State and West Virginia are all coming off undefeated weeks. The Cowboys went 5-0 in non-conference action last week, including a perfect record at the TD Ameritrade Classic in Omaha. Baylor (vs. Texas) and West Virginia (vs. Kansas) swept their conference series and also collected a non-league midweek win to go 4-0. The Big 12 went 11-0 in non-conference play last week.
• WVU sits in a two-way tie with K-State for third place in the league standings. The Mountaineers will face all ranked teams this week as they host No. 17 Pitt before a conference series with league-leading and 10th-ranked Oklahoma at Appalachian Power Park in Charleston, W. Va. In its series sweep of KU, the pitching staff led WVU over the weekend with a 3-0 record, 1.50 ERA and 22 strikeouts to just four walks.
• Baylor moved into second-place in the standings with its first sweep of Texas since 2005 and third sweep of the Longhorns overall (also in 1998). It was the last home conference series for the Bears, who travel to Kansas and Texas Tech to close out their Big 12 schedule. BU has achieved at least 10 conference wins in all 17 seasons as a member of the Big 12.
• West Virginia pitcher Harrison Musgrave enters the week with a scoreless innings streak of 25.0 innings. Musgrave is the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week for the past two weeks and has won the award three times so far, making him the 13th hurler in league history to earn the honor three or more times in one season. He has yet to lose in Big 12 play, posting a 4-0 record and a 0.97 ERA.
• Despite a 5-13 league record, Texas leads the league in pitching in overall games and is second in conference-only contests with a 2.54 ERA. The Longhorns meet the league’s best batting squad this weekend, hosting K-State which owns a .322 batting average. Three Wildcats are batting over .400 in Big 12 play.
• BU’s Lawton Langford enters the week with a Big 12 best 35 game active reached base streak. Texas’ Mark Payton owns a 31-game streak.
• KU pitcher Jordan Piché leads the nation with a 0.62 ERA (43.1 IP). He is one of four Big 12 pitchers who rank in the top 25 nationally in ERA - Jonathan Gray (OU, ninth), Trey Masek (TTU, 17th) and Preston Morrison (TCU, 18th).