Current Baseball Notes in PDF
• Oklahoma is the only Big 12 squad ranked in all four of the national polls this week, while Oklahoma State is on three of the four lists. The Sooners’ highest ranking is No. 11 on the Collegiate Baseball list. Oklahoma State is No. 18 in the NCBWA and USA Today Coaches’ rankings. Texas Tech and Kansas State are receiving votes.
• The Sooners posted a 5-0 record last week and extended their win streak to 10 games. OU recorded three extra-inning victories, including a 15-inning win over Oral Roberts last Thursday. With a series sweep of TCU to open Big 12 play, OU sits atop the league standings.
• OU’s Matt Oberste has hit safely in 26 straight games dating back to the 2012 season. He is one hit shy of tying the Sooner school record of 27 set by Marty Neff in 1991. Oberste has also reached base safely in 33 consecutive games dating back to last season.
• West Virginia also clinched a Big 12 series win over the weekend, taking two of three games from Texas Tech. The Mountaineers shut out TTU on Friday, 2-0, behind a 13 strikeout performance from Hunter Musgrave. Baylor and Oklahoma State’s series was shortened to two games due to snow in Stillwater on Sunday. The two teams split the series.
• This week’s conference series are: Kansas at Oklahoma, K-State at Baylor, TCU at Texas Tech and Texas at Oklahoma State. The KU-OU series will be televised on FSSW+ and/or Fox Sports Central, while Fox College Sports will carry a different league contest each day Thursday through Saturday and FSN will air the finale of the TCU-Tech series on Sunday.
• All-session tickets for the 2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City are on sale. Tickets are available through the Oklahoma City RedHawks Box Office at (405) 218-1000 or through www.okcallsports.org.
• West Virginia’s Harrison Musgrave was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week and one of Collegiate Baseball’s Louisville Slugger National Players of the Week. Tanner Witt (K-State) was the Big 12 Player of the Week, while Jacob Evans (Oklahoma) took home Newcomer of the Week honors.
• Texas’ Corey Knebel moved into fourth place on the Big 12 career saves list. Knebel’s 32 saves is nine shy of tying former Longhorn Huston Street’s record of 41.
• Four Big 12 teams rank in the top 25 nationally in average attendance. Texas (sixth), TCU (10th), Baylor (17th) and Texas Tech (22nd) have all averaged over 2,000 fans per contest thus far with the Longhorns averaging nearly 6,000 fans per game.