Current Baseball Notes in PDF
• Oklahoma is the only Big 12 squad ranked in all four of the national polls this week, while Oklahoma State is on three of the four lists. The Sooners’ highest ranking is No. 10 on the Collegiate Baseball list. Oklahoma State is No. 18 in the NCBWA and USA Today Coaches’ rankings. K-State is receiving votes.
• OU junior infielder Matt Oberste enters the week with a 30-game hit streak. It ties for the second-longest in a single season in Big 12 history. Oklahoma State’s Ty Wright holds the record with a 35-gamer in 2007. Oberste broke the OU program record with his 28th-straight game, hitting a home run in the first game of last week’s series against Kansas to break the record set by Marty Neff (1991).
• Texas’ Corey Knebel is five saves shy of tying the Big 12 career saves record (41). After giving up a run in his first appearance this season, Knebel has not allowed a run in his last 10 appearances (13.1 innings). He is 3-0 with three saves in that span along with three hits, five walks and 20 strikeouts with opponents hitting only .071 against him.
• Jonathan Gray became the 13th pitcher in Big 12 history to win three or more Pitcher of the Week awards in a single season by claiming the honor again this past Monday. He is the first Sooner to achieve the feat, which was last accomplish twice in 2011 - Taylor Jungmann, Texas, and Ross Stripling, Texas A&M.
• TCU won its first conference series as members of the Big 12 with a 2-1 series win over Texas Tech in Lubbock last weekend. Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were also series winners. OU and OSU will spend their next two weekends on the road against Big 12 opponents as the Sooners travel to Texas and Baylor. OSU faces Kansas and TCU.
• Texas Tech’s Trey Masek has allowed just one run in 40.0 innings of work with 40 strikeouts and 10 walks. His 0.22 ERA leads the league.
• Oberste leads the Big 12 in batting average, hits and home runs. Tony Thompson (Kansas, 2009) is the last player to lead the league in all three categories at season’s end. He also sits atop the RBI category and ranks in the top 10 nationally in all four categories, including second in the nation with 53 hits and 39 RBI.