Riding a nine-match winning streak, Kansas State’s Bryna Vogel takes home the Big 12 volleyball Offensive Player of the Week, while West Virginia’s Mia Swanegan earns the defensive nod and Payton Caffrey claims the freshman award. The accolades reflect performances in matches played from Sept. 12-18.
This marks the first career conference weekly award for Vogel and Swanegan, while Caffrey picks up her second Freshman of the Week this season.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Bryna Vogel, Kansas State, OPP, Jr., Clearwater, Kan./Clearwater
- Named Arkansas Invitational MVP after a 4-0 week for K-State.
- Broke her career high in kills twice last week – 18 in a win against Creighton and then 21 in a win over Southern Miss.
- Hit .704 (21-2-27) against Southern Miss, which was just .002 from K-State’s all-time mark for a four-set match (marked the most kills ever with that high of efficiency).
- The .704 efficiency was more than 150 points better than second-best in conference this week and is second-highest in Big 12 all season.
- Amassed a .444 attack percentage for the week, which marked the second-highest in the league.
- Raised her season attack percentage from .299 to .349 after hitting at least .333 in all four matches on the week
- Her 3.80 kills per set ranked fifth in Big 12 this week
- Led team to nine-match winning streak (longest since 2014)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mia Swanegan, West Virginia, MB, Jr., Blue Springs, Mo./TCU
- Led the league in blocking on the week with 20 total blocks and an average of 1.54, helping WVU to a 3-1 mark that included three straight sweeps and a tournament title.
- Recorded 9.0 total blocks on Monday against Pacific, the most by a Big 12 player in a match last week.
- The 9.0 block total ranks as the third-most in a four-set match this season.
- In WVU’s 3-0 weekend, combined for 11 blocks, including five vs Dartmouth in the weekend finale.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH, Chuluota, Fla./Winter Springs
- Ranked second in the league and led all freshmen with 4.38 kills per set and 4.88 points per set last week.
- Claimed the WVU Invitational tournament MVP after the Mountaineers tallied three sweeps at the event.
- Registered double-doubles against Pacific (14 kills, 10 digs), Winthrop (10 kills, 10 digs) and Akron (17 kills, 10 digs) to bring her total to a league-best of seven this season.
- Totaled four service aces on the week for an average of 0.31, ranking eighth in the league.
- Also hit .247 on the week, averaging 2.77 digs per set.
- Her .406 attack percentage against Akron ranked eighth-best in the Big 12 this week, while her 17 kills against the Zips were second-most in a three-set match.
|Date||Offensive Player||Defensive Player||Freshman|
|August 29||Kimmy Gardiner, Oklahoma, OH, Sr.||Branen Berta, Iowa State, L, Jr.||Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH|
|September 5||Audrey Alford, Oklahoma, S, So.||Cassie Wait, Kansas, L, Sr.||Micaya White, Texas, OH|
|September 12||Katie Staiger, Baylor, OH, RJr.||Cassie Wait, Kansas, L, Sr.||Micaya White, Texas, OH|
|September 19||Bryna Vogel, Kansas State, OPP, Jr.||Mia Swanegan, West Virginia, Jr., MB||Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH|