Irving, Texas - The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2017 Fall Scholar-Athletes of the Year. The following student-athletes have been selected as award winners for their respective sports based on a vote of each
Big 12 Men’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Luis Martinez, Oklahoma State, Sr., Rio Rancho, N.M.
- Majoring in Entrepreneurship and Marketing, he has a 3.75 GPA and 86 percent participation.
- Placed second in the Big 12 Cross Country Championship and 10th at the NCAA Midwest Regional.
- Collected his second Big 12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year honor (2016 and 2017).
Big 12 Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Lindsey Bradley, Baylor, Jr., Richland, Wash.
- Business/Human Relations major with a 3.87 grade-point average that participated in 50 percent of competitions.
- Earned All-Big 12 honors and NCAA Championship All-Region honors for a second consecutive year.
- Placed fourth in the NCAA South Central Regional to earn a spot to the 2017 NCAA Championship.
Big 12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Michael Dickson, Texas, Jr., Sydney, Australia
- Majoring in Finance with a 3.53 GPA and 100 percent game participation.
- Leads the nation with a 48.4 punting average and is on pace to set the Big 12 single-season record.
- Named to the 2017 All-Big 12 First Team and is a three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree (2 First Team honors and 1 Rookie accolade).
Big 12 Soccer Co-Scholar-Athletes of the Year
Precious Akanyirige, Baylor, Sr., Pleasanton, Calif.
- A biology major that boasts a 3.79 GPA and 100 percent participation this season.
- Started all 24 matches for the Bears backline that reached the NCAA Quarterfinals.
- A three-time Academic All-Big 12 selection (2 Academic All-Big 12 First Team awards and Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team).
Paige Welch, Oklahoma, Jr., Austin, Texas
- A biomedical engineering major that has a 4.0 GPA and 90 percent participation this season.
- Started and played in 18 matches for the Sooners in 2017.
- Garnered Academic All-Big 12 First Team honors the last two seasons and Academic All-Big 12 Rookie accolades in 2015-16.
Big 12 Volleyball Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Alexis Conaway, Iowa State, Sr., Orange City, Iowa
- Kinesiology & Health major with a 4.0 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Produced 236 kills and helped guide the Cyclones to an NCAA Tournament Second Round appearance.
- A four-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree (3 Academic All-Big 12 First Team selections and 1 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie honor).
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sport. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 20 percent of the team’s scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.