The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2018 Winter Scholar-Athletes of the Year. The following student-athletes have been selected as award winners for their respective sports based on the votes of each sport’s respective head coaches.
2018 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Jevon Carter, West Virginia, Sr., Maywood, Ill.
- Sport management major with a 3.51 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Tabbed the CoSIDA Men’s Basketball Academic All-American of the Year and the Men’s Basketball Senior CLASS Award recipient.
- Two-time Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and two-time NABC Defensive Player of the Year
2018 Big 12 Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Shaelyn Martin, Kansas State, Sr., Salina, Kan.
- Majoring in Kinesiology with a 4.00 GPA and participated in 94.1% of this year’s contests.
- A 2018 Dr. Gerald Lage Academic Achievement Award recipient and CoSIDA Academic All-America Second Team honoree.
- Led the Wildcats with 7.2 rebounds per game, playing in 32 contests.
2018 Big 12 Equestrian Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Rachel Van Allen, Baylor, Sr., Portland, Ore.
- Finance major with a 3.92 GPA and participated in 90.1 percent of competition this season.
- In 2017, earned All-Big 12 honors for Equitation on the Flat.
- A three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree.
2018 Big 12 Gymnastics Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Kelsey Paz, Iowa State, Sr., Sioux City, Iowa
- Senior accounting major with a 3.85 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- Three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree (2016, 2017, 2018).
- Served as team captain during her junior and senior seasons.
2018 Big 12 Men’s Swimming & Diving Scholar-Athlete of the Year
James Koval, West Virginia, Sr., Mount Pleasant, S.C.
- Chemical engineering major with a 3.80 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Three-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team honoree (2016, 2017 and 2018).
- Placed fourth at the 2018 Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championship with a time of 15:38.35 in the 1650 yard Freestyle event.
2018 Big 12 Women’s Swimming & Diving Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Amelie Currat, West Virginia, Sr., Dunkerque, France
- A finance major that boasts a 3.97 GPA and 100 percent participation this season.
- Currat is the first swimming & diving student-athlete to earn Big 12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors twice.
- Earned 2018 All-Big 12 First Team recognition in the 100 and 200 backstroke competitions.
2018 Big 12 Wrestling Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Clay Ream, North Dakota State, R-Sr., Wentzville, Mo.
- Biochemistry and molecular biology major with a 3.977 grade-point average and 100 percent participation.
- A three-time NCAA Elite 90 Award winner (2016, 2017 and 2018).
- Competed in his fourth NCAA Championship and finished runner-up in the 157-pound category at the Big 12 Championship.
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sport. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 20 percent of the team’s scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.