Big 12 football weekly honors were awarded to Patrick Mahomes II (Texas Tech), Orion Stewart (Baylor), KaVontae Turpin (TCU) and Shane Buechele (Texas). Turpin picked up his third career award and second consecutive as special teams player of the week. Buechele was also recognized for a second week as the top newcomer. Mahomes II earned his fourth offensive award while Stewart received defensive honors for the first time.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech, QB, Jr, Whitehouse, Texas
· Mahomes II accounted for 584 yards of total offense and six total touchdowns at Arizona State to maintain his position as the FBS leader in total offense (1,124 yards).
· After compiling 540 passing yards with five TDs, he is also now the FBS leader in passing yards (1,023) and tied for the lead in passing scores with nine.
· Scored six touchdowns for the second-straight week to rank second in the FBS in points responsible for (72), which is 24 points more than the next-highest total in the Big 12.
· Connected on three passing plays of more than 50 yards for the second-straight week, giving him six on the year, which leads the FBS. Only one other quarterback in the nation has more than three.
· Engineered an offense that scored at least 55 points for the second-consecutive week, and averages 62 points per game this year, which leads the Big 12 and is tied for third in the FBS.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Orion Stewart, Baylor, S, Sr, Waco, Texas
· Stewart had eight tackles (five solo) and two interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown to help Baylor defeat SMU 40-13.
· First game with two interceptions, which give him eight in his career with two returned for TDs.
· Is the only player in the Big 12 with two interceptions on the season and ranks tied for fourth nationally.
· His 33 interception return yards brought his career total to 207, moving him from seventh to fourth on Baylor's career interception return yardage list. He passed Adrian Robinson (177), Derrick Cash (189) and Thomas Everett (194).
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/PR, So, Monroe, La.
· Totaled 169 return yards (33 punt, 136 kickoff) in the double overtime game against Arkansas.
· His career-long 64-yard kickoff return with less than a minute to play in regulation put TCU in position for a potential game-winning field goal.
· Averaged 16.5 yards on his two punt returns and 34.0 yards on four kickoff returns.
· Tied a career high with seven receptions for 126 yards.
· Posted a career-best 295 all-purpose yards (136 kickoff returns, 33 punt returns, 126 receiving).
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Shane Buechele, Texas, QB, Fr, Arlington, Texas
· Buechele became the first true freshman quarterback to start his first two games for the Longhorns.
· Completed 22-of-27 passes for 244 yards and four touchdowns (no interceptions) for an efficiency rating of 206.28.
· 81.5% matched the top completion percentage by a freshman in UT history (81.5%, James Brown, 1994).
· Rushed for 34 yards to tally 278 yards of total offense.
· Four TD passes are tied for third-most in a game by a UT freshman.
· Guided five TD scoring drives that all covered at least 52 yards (average 59.2 yards per TD drive).
2016 BIG 12 FOOTBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
|Date||Offensive Player of the Week||Defensive Player of the Week|
|Sept. 6||Kenny Hill, TCU, QB, Jr
Tyrone Swoopes, UT, QB, Sr
|Chris Nelson, UT, DT, So|
|Sept. 12||Patrick Mahomes II, TTU, QB, Jr||
Orion Stewart, BU, S, Sr
|Date||Special Teams Player of the Week||Newcomer of the Week|
|Sept. 6||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr
|Sept. 12||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr