Big 12 football weekly honors were awarded to James Washington (Oklahoma State), Ty Summers (TCU), Dominique Heath (Kansas State), Zach Sinor (Oklahoma State) and JaMycal Hasty (Baylor). Washington (offense) and Summers (defense) picked up their second career award. Sinor (special teams) claimed honors for the third time while Heath (special teams) and Hasty (newcomer) earned their first recognition. Washington was also named the Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
James Washington, Oklahoma State, WR, Jr, Stamford, Texas
· Washington caught nine passes for 296 yards and two touchdowns to help lead the Cowboys to a 45-38 victory over previously-unbeaten Pittsburgh.
· The 296 receiving yards are the most in a single game for any player in the nation this season, 83 yards greater than the second-highest total, and the most for any FBS player since Michigan’s Jeremy Gallon had 369 receiving yards against Indiana on Oct. 19, 2013.
· Washington’s 296 receiving yards rank as the second-highest single-game mark in school history and is fourth in Big 12 history. It is also the most for a Big 12 player since 2012.
· The 32.9 yards per reception set a single-game school record (minimum seven catches). It also marked the third time in Washington’s career that he has averaged more than 32 yards per catch in a game. No other Cowboy has accomplished this feat more than once.
· Washington scored on the first play from scrimmage with a 91-yard touchdown catch. It was the second-longest pass reception in school history. He later added catches of 50, 43, 35, 29 and 25 yards, among his other receptions.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ty Summers, TCU, LB, So, San Antonio, Texas
· Summers led TCU with 16 tackles in the 41-20 win over Iowa State for the second-best game of his career.
· Had 1.5 tackles for loss among his stops.
· The 16 tackles tied for the 11th-most in a game in 16 seasons under head coach Gary Patterson.
· Keyed TCU’s best defensive effort of the season as Iowa State was held to 4.3 yards per snap.
CO-SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Dominique Heath, Kansas State, WR/PR, So, Huntersville, N.C.
· Heath recorded a 75-yard punt return for a touchdown in the 63-7 win against Florida Atlantic.
· The score was K-State’s nation-leading 41st kick/punt return TD since 2005.
· It was also the nation-leading 102nd non-offensive score since 1999.
· Also hauled in three catches for 40 yards including a 20-yard TD reception.
Zach Sinor, Oklahoma State, P, So, Castroville, Texas
· Sinor punted six times for an average of 47.7 yards.
· Four of his six punts were downed inside the 20 and two of his punts were longer than 50 yards, including a 65-yard blast that matched his career long.
· The four punts downed inside the 20-yard line matched the fifth-best single-game total in school history.
· With the game on the line in the fourth quarter, Sinor booted a 46-yarder that was downed by his teammates, a 51-yarder that was fair caught at the 10-yard line and a 34-yarder that was fair caught at the 11-yard line, not allowing a return yard to Pittsburgh’s Quadree Henderson. Henderson entered the game ranked second in the ACC and 15th in the nation with 14.5 yards per punt return.
· On the year, Sinor has punted 14 times, with 11 of those downed inside the opponents’ 20-yard line. His 14 punts have yielded a total of only 16 return yards for opponents.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
JaMycal Hasty, Baylor, RB, Fr, Longview, Texas
· Hasty had 14 carries for 105 yards and a touchdown on the ground and also caught two passes for 26 yards in Baylor’s 38-10 win over Rice.
· Hasty got Baylor on the board in the second quarter with a 16-yard TD run up the middle to put BU in front 7-3.
· Late in the game, he pulled off his biggest run of the night as he took a handoff on third and five at the BU 34-yard line and raced 31 yards to the Rice 35 to help the Bears use up almost six minutes of the fourth quarter.
· Led all BU rushers in the game as he notched his first-career 100-yard contest.
· Ranks third in the Big 12 with 79.0 yards per game on the ground.
2016 BIG 12 FOOTBALL WEEKLY AWARDS WINNERS
|Date||Offensive Player of the Week||Defensive Player of the Week|
|Sept. 6||Kenny Hill, TCU, QB, Jr
Tyrone Swoopes, UT, QB, Sr
|Chris Nelson, UT, DT, So|
|Sept. 12||Patrick Mahomes II, TTU, QB, Jr||
Orion Stewart, BU, S, Sr
|Sept. 19||James Washington, OSU, WR, Jr||
Ty Summers, TCU, LB, So
|Date||Special Teams Player of the Week||Newcomer of the Week|
|Sept. 6||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr
|Sept. 12||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr
Dominique Heath, KSU, WR/PR, So
|JaMycal Hasty, BU, RB, Fr