Big 12 football weekly honors were picked up by Baylor’s Seth Russell and Travon Blanchard, along with Kansas State’s Byron Pringle, TCU’s Desmon White and Oklahoma State’s Justice Hill. Russell (offense) was recognized for the first time this season and third time in his career. Blanchard (defense), Pringle (co-special teams), White (co-special teams) and Hill (newcomer) all received their first career award.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Seth Russell, Baylor, QB, Sr, Garland, Texas
· Russell threw for 387 yards and four touchdowns on 18-of-28 passing in Baylor’s 35-24 Big 12 opening win over Oklahoma State.
· Was also BU’s leading rusher in the game with 10 carries for 65 yards.
· Touchdown passes covered 38, 38, 89 and 15 yards. The 89-yarder was his career-long and the third-longest in program history.
· The 387 passing yards is tied for 20th on BU’s all-time single-game list.
· Threw his 50th career passing touchdown during the second quarter, joining RG3 and Bryce Petty as the only Baylor players with 50-plus career passing TDs. Ended the game at 53.
· Improved to 12-0 in his career as a starter. In those 12 starts, has thrown 47 TD passes (3.9 TD passes/game) and only 10 interceptions.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Travon Blanchard, Baylor, NB, Jr, Orange, Texas
· Blanchard had 11 tackles (8 solo), including a career-high 4.5 TFL in Baylor’s victory over Oklahoma State. He also had a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, a PBU and a QB hurry.
· With Oklahoma State driving with under 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter and Baylor leading 28-24, Blanchard punched the ball loose at the BU 2-yard line and recovered it at the 1-yard line to prevent an OSU scoring opportunity.
CO-SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Byron Pringle, K-State, WR/KR/PR, So, Tampa, Fla.
· Pringle recorded one punt return for 43 yards and a kickoff return of 35 yards in K-State’s 35-0 win over Missouri State that was concluded at halftime due to weather.
· Registered his first career receiving touchdown as a Wildcat on a 9-yard reception, an acrobatic grab in the end zone.
· Finished the night with two receptions for 30 yards.
Desmon White, TCU, WR/KR/PR Jr, DeSoto, Texas
· Replaced injured starter KaVontae Turpin in TCU’s 33-3 win at SMU.
· Returned three punts for 74 yards (24.7 average) with a career-long 31-yard effort.
· Also had a career-best six receptions for 49 yards to total 123 all-purpose yards.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
Justice Hill, Oklahoma State, RB, Fr, Tulsa, Okla.
· Hill carried 20 times for 122 yards and a touchdown in his first career start at No. 16 Baylor.
· His 122 rushing yards were the most for an Oklahoma State true freshman against a Big 12 opponent since the league was formed in 1996.
· The 122 rushing yards were also the most for an OSU freshman since Jeremy Smith went for 160 against Grambling in 2009 and were the most for any Cowboy in a game since Desmond Roland ran for 123 against Washington in the Cactus Bowl to end the 2014 season.
· Had four carries that went for 10 yards or more, including a 38-yarder in the fourth quarter.
· Leads the Cowboys with 44 carries and 211 yards on the season.
2016 BIG 12 FOOTBALL WEEKLY AWARDS WINNERS
|Date||Offensive Player of the Week||Defensive Player of the Week|
|Sept. 6||Kenny Hill, TCU, QB, Jr
Tyrone Swoopes, UT, QB, Sr
|Chris Nelson, UT, DT, So|
|Sept. 12||Patrick Mahomes II, TTU, QB, Jr||Orion Stewart, BU, S, Sr|
|Sept. 19||James Washington, OSU, WR, Jr||Ty Summers, TCU, LB, So|
|Sept. 26||Seth Russell, BU, QB, Sr||Travon Blanchard, BU, NB, Jr|
|Date||Special Teams Player of the Week||Newcomer of the Week|
|Sept. 6||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr|
|Sept. 12||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr|
|Sept. 19||Dominique Heath, KSU, WR/PR, So
Zach Sinor, OSU, P, So
|JaMycal Hasty, BU, RB, Fr|
|Sept. 26||Byron Pringle, KSU, WR/KR/PR, So
Desmon White, TCU, WR/KR/PR, Jr
|Justice Hill, OSU, RB, Fr|