Dede Westbrook (Oklahoma), Josh Carraway (TCU), Byron Pringle (Kansas State) and D.J. Reed (Kansas State) received Big 12 football weekly awards after their teams recorded conference wins last week. Pringle (special teams) picked up his second award in the last three weeks. Westbrook (offense), Carraway (defense) and Reed (newcomer) were all recognized for the first time.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Dede Westbrook, Oklahoma, WR, Sr, Cameron, Texas
· Westbrook set multiple OU records to help the Sooners to a 45-40 win over Texas at the Cotton Bowl.
· Finished with 10 catches (the most ever by a Sooner against the Longhorns) for a school-record 232 yards. All of that production happened by the 5:39 mark of the third quarter.
· Logged a career-high three touchdown catches, from 71, 42 and 47 yards out. The 71-yard TD grab was the longest by an OU player against Texas.
· The Sooners became just the fifth team in FBS history to finish with a 300-yard passer (Baker Mayfield; 390), a 200-yard rusher (Samaje Perine; 214) and a 200-yard receiver (Westbrook).
· Over the last two games, Westbrook has registered 17 catches for 390 yards (22.9 average) and five TDs. The 390 yards are a two-game OU record.
· In Big 12 play, Westbrook leads the league in receptions (8.5 per game), receiving yards (195.0 per game), all-purpose yards (197.0 per game) and scoring (15.0 points per game).
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Josh Carraway, TCU, DE, Sr, Flower Mound, Texas
· All three of Carraway’s sacks came in the fourth quarter, including back-to-back snaps on Kansas’ final drive as TCU held on for a 24-23 come-from-behind win.
· The three sacks were the most by a Horned Frog in a game since 2012.
· Recorded four tackles for loss for the highest total by a TCU player since 2014.
· His eight total tackles tied a career high.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Byron Pringle, K-State, KR/WR, So, Tampa, Fla.
· Pringle returned a second quarter kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown against Texas Tech, quickly shifting the game’s momentum in a 44-38 win.
· It was the first of his career, while it marked the nation-leading 12th straight season K-State has returned a kickoff for a touchdown.
· It was also K-State’s 42nd kickoff or punt return for a touchdown since 2005, which leads the nation.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
D.J. Reed, K-State, DB, So, Bakersfield, Calif.
· Reed returned a first quarter interception for a touchdown to put K-State up 14-7 over Texas Tech.
· It was the Wildcats’ first pick-six since Danzel McDaniel returned one five yards for a score at Oklahoma in 2014.
· His 35 yards to pay dirt was the longest interception return since Dante Barnett went 51 yards against Michigan in the 2013 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.
2016 BIG 12 FOOTBALL WEEKLY AWARDS WINNERS
|Date||Offensive Player of the Week||Defensive Player of the Week|
|Sept. 6||Kenny Hill, TCU, QB, Jr
Tyrone Swoopes, UT, QB, Sr
|Chris Nelson, UT, DT, So|
|Sept. 12||Patrick Mahomes II, TTU, QB, Jr||Orion Stewart, BU, S, Sr|
|Sept. 19||James Washington, OSU, WR, Jr||Ty Summers, TCU, LB, So|
|Sept. 26||Seth Russell, BU, QB, Sr||Travon Blanchard, BU, NB, Jr|
|Oct. 3||Shock Linwood, BU, RB, Sr||Elijah Lee, K-State, LB, Jr|
|Oct. 10||Dede Westbrook, OU, WR, Sr||Josh Carraway, TCU, DE, Sr|
|Date||Special Teams Player of the Week||Newcomer of the Week|
|Sept. 6||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr|
|Sept. 12||KaVontae Turpin, TCU, WR/KR/PR, So||Shane Buechele, UT, QB, Fr|
|Sept. 19||Dominique Heath, K-State, WR/PR, So
Zach Sinor, OSU, P, So
|JaMycal Hasty, BU, RB, Fr|
|Sept. 26||Byron Pringle, K-State, WR/KR/PR, So
Desmon White, TCU, WR/KR/PR, Jr
|Justice Hill, OSU, RB, Fr|
|Oct. 3||Austin Seibert, OU, K/P, So||Justice Hill, OSU, RB, Fr|
|Oct. 10||Byron Pringle, K-State, WR/KR/PR, So||D.J. Reed, K-State, DB, So|