Texas Tech’s Werner Bouwer and Iowa State’s Allanah McCorkle capture the season’s first Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Athletes of the Week. This marks the first weekly accolade for both student-athletes.
TRACK & FIELD MALE ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Werner Bouwer, Texas Tech, Fr., Hoerskool Nelspruit, South Africa
- Threw a winning mark of 72.16m/236-9 in his first performance of the season taking a No. 3 school record spot in javelin.
- Leads the conference by 27 feet in the event and sits at No. 3 in the NCAA Division I West outdoor qualifying list.
- The freshman recorded the fourth farthest throw in the nation after the first week of outdoor competition.
TRACK & FIELD FEMALE ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Allanah McCorkle, Iowa State, Sr., Davenport, Iowa
- Recorded a personal-best long jump effort of 19-11 1/2 to win the women’s long jump at the Tulsa Duels.
- By besting her career jump by over six inches, McCorkle leads the conference in the event.
- Tied for the longest jump of the weekend and currently ranks No. 4 in the NCAA on the season in the women’s long jump.
Big 12 Track & Field Weekly Awards
|March 22||Werner Bouwer, Texas Tech, Fr.||Allanah McCorkle, Iowa State, Sr.|